Companion Plants for Runner Beans

• 6 Replies

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
Companion Plants for Runner Beans
« on: February 24, 2022, 15:54 »
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything similar. I know that Nasturtium is a good companion plant for runners, but I've never planted it before, so need some advice please.
When should it be planted, if I normally plant my beans out in May?
How should I plant it, pots first, or seed in ground?
Should it be planted in the same bed as the runners, (in between bean plants), or nearby?
How to stop it spreading everywhere? Thanks everyone.

steven c

• Experienced Member
Re: Companion Plants for Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 07:30 »
nice idea it would make the bean area more attractive and maybe divert the blackfly i have never tried it but would it make sense to site the nasturtiums slighty away from beans to as it were to divert the blackfly away
starting the seeds indoors to get a head start on the beans seems reasonable good luck.
from bow like to grow

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 11:34 »
I'm sure that most people who have grown nasturtiums will have found that in most years they are indeed a blackfly magnet and develop huge colonies of them.

Whether encouraging such a thriving community of pests anywhere near your runner beans is a good idea or not is perhaps a subject for debate - for me it's a bad idea.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 12:40 »
Whether encouraging such a thriving community of pests anywhere near your runner beans is a good idea or not is perhaps a subject for debate - for me it's a bad idea.
I've always thought that way  :lol:

lettice

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 09:30 »
Yes, as mentioned above.
Nasturtiums attract Blackfly and cabbage white, so having them right next to your beans would not be a good idea.
Think the idea is to have them somewhere on the plot to attract the blackfly and cabbage white there and create a detour for them to find your beans and brassicas.
Also, they spread like mad, so will seed easily if not careful.

One of the best companion plants I have found is regular radish sowings between rows of broad beans.
The plants give a little shade, so stops the radish bolting quickly and it also encourages you to hoe regularly too between the rows.
Never tried with runner beans, but may work when they are starting off their journey up the poles.

One thing I tried last year was having runner beans on 3/4 of the row of poles and  climbing flat beans (Helda, Hunter, Pantheon)on the other 1/4 of the pole. They grew together nicely and had a good as crop as ever. Did think they might try and cross over each other, but a few slight long tendril diversions as they reached the top and they stayed there.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 11:19 »
Thanks everyone, food for thought there.

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 21:23 »
I always grow the herb Summer Savory with my beans , they seem  to have an affinity with each other , and certainly the Savory planted beans crop for longer. Also , a pinch of the herb in the cooking water of the beans enhances the flavour nicely.

xx
Runner beans from last years plants?

Started by Fat Hen on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 22:12
by Trillium
xx
Companion plants for Asparagus plants

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 08:03
by Kristen
xx
Sweetcorn companion plants

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 18:40
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Companion Plants for potatoes

Started by Kabby on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 20:30
by gobs

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 37 queries.