First attempt at growing my own help please

• 17 Replies

IyeImade

« on: February 19, 2008, 21:29 »
Hello.

I was directed here following asking questions on another forum.

Basically, I would like to have a go at growing my own, but don't really know where to start as I can't even keep a pot plant alive. I have a bad back so would prefer to grow in pots/growbags etc, I also need something very easy and useable...I tend to eat a lot of roast veg and stir frys.

So far potatoes have been suggested as easy, but what else would you recommend? Also, I don;t know when I should start planting things, whether to plant from seed or off cut and when I should expect to be able to eat the stuff I have grown.

I started a compost bin about 18 months or so ago, but haven't added to it for several months, would it still be OK to use? And finally, is there an idiots guide to gardening that I can use as reference.

Thank you in advance!

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: First attempt at growing my own help please
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 21:32 »
Quote from: "IyeImade"
is there an idiots guide to gardening that I can use as reference.

Thank you in advance!
There are plenty of idiots to guide you on this forum. :lol:   Just ask away and also try the search facility.
Cheese makes everything better.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 21:36 »
Because of your back I would suggest you visit this site...
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/
Its a very easy method of growing some veg. If you search the threads for whatever your growing you will find plenty of info.
Good luck and welcome
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 21:55 »
And finally, is there an idiots guide to gardening that I can use as reference.

Thank you in advance!

Get yourself a copy of Hessayon's Vegetable and Herb Expert.  Simple and complete.

Sorry John your book is not ready yet  :oops:

noshed

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 21:58 »
How much room have you got to plant things?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 22:04 »
Corguettes(sp) are the easy staple of a weed, to start with, also kale  and henry will be along soon to over-complicate them for you. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 22:18 »
Quote from: "gobs"
 and henry will be along soon to over-complicate them for you. :wink:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 22:23 »
Now, now Gobs I think you and Henry should kiss and make up.  But, I agree that courgettes grow like weeds.  I have grown them for the last two years and have ended up willing them to die.  Feed em, water em and watch them grow, and grow, and grow. :roll:

IyeImade

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 22:35 »
Thank you for your suggestions - I have bookmarked the square gardening thing to have a proper look at later.

My garden is small/medium sized but patio near the house then sloping lawn the rest. Where it slopes is very dark and I refuse to go near that bit in case there are mice rats (near the compost bin). There are a couple of gravel areas that I could stick pots on, but with a 2 year old and a 5 month old, I don't want anything dangerous out of sight.

I love courgettes and other people have also said they are easy, do I grow them from seed? If so when? And the compost, is it good to go or is it rotten now?

gobs

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 08:18 »
You can grow a lot of stuff in grow bags, tomato, corguettes, cucumbers, salad leaves, all from seed and all easy, you gotta water though :!:

Also look at the month by month guide on the front page.

You can grow a few pots in a bin bag.

Your compost you need to have a look at, it depends what went in etc. If not ready, pack it over, cover and leave for some while.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 09:41 »
your seed packets will tell you all you need to know about sowing times and after care  :D

You can buy plants if you wish which cuts out all the sowing. Lots of good plants out there these days and you don't have to buy them in big quantities. One company lets you buy one plant of each but you need to order at least six. They do courgettes, cues, peppers, aubs etc. All good for growbags and pots

Simpsons Seeds I think it is

noshed

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 10:11 »
The compost should be ready. Spread it on the beds now if you can. Then fork it in before you sow/plant stuff. When you've emptied the compost bin, put any big bits back and then start again with it - veg peelings, paper, grass cuttings in small quantities etc. You will have another lot ready in a few months then.

Farmer Matty

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 10:38 »
Potatoes, i am still young but i started these when i was, errr well, ALOT younger. At the age of 15 i now have an allotment but i was really eager to grow something so i grew these.

They are easy. Get a bucket/big pot, and plant a potato per (or possibly 2) on the easter weekend, or last weekend in march. I do this every year as my birthday is last day in march and then just give them plenty of water, plaenty of light and let them grow. Depending on what variety you grow wil depend on harvest. Ideally, get a few different type, early, second early, main etc so you have a steady supply.

You will get long green foliage and it wil flower, after the flowers die lift em. Thats a brief explanation and i hope it helps. Book are always good to have aswell. Tomatoes do well in a pot, in a little greenhouse or even on a window sill. If you buy the seeds the instructions are good enough, good soil, decent seed, reasonable water and sun light - ALL YOU NEED!

GOOD LUCK.

P.S. I have a bad back, and wouldn't reccomend planting potatoes in the ground as i do - ITS HARD! :)

paintedlady

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 11:32 »
Basically, I would like to have a go at growing my own, but don't really know where to start as I can't even keep a pot plant alive. I have a bad back so would prefer to grow in pots/growbags etc

.... the hardest part of growbags and pots, especially in the height of summer, is to water them regularly, sometimes twice a day :shock:

I wilt myself rather rapidly during a heatwave and how many times I look at the pot plants and the cripsy brown foliage and think "oh heck, forgot to water them this morning".  The answer is - if you can afford it, get an automatic watering system 8)

You can buy bits & pieces (from B&Q or garden centres) OR a ready kit (can be expensive, but a smaller version is useful to get an idea of the contents and how it all fits together and works) with an automatic timer fitted to an outside tap.  Its taken a lot of stress out of my watering at home :D

All you have to remember is to turn the tap off if we have a very wet summer like last year :lol:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 11:49 »
Or you can make you own out of a plastic pop bottle.. this is how I do mine cut the bottom off, make a small hole in the top. Shove it top end first into the grow bag and fill with water, if it empty's too fast I drop a bit of mud in it soon blocks the hole up and slows down the flow.  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
My first attempt at growing spuds...

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 16:54
by Chrysalis
xx
first attempt.

Started by k4t1e195 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 15:19
by jamima
xx
first attempt!!!

Started by k4t1e195 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 00:59
by Trillium
xx
Carrots 2nd attempt

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 13, 2007, 16:49
by purplebat

Page created in 0.754 seconds with 31 queries.