Moving fruit bushes

• 3 Replies

Eblana

Moving fruit bushes
« on: April 24, 2021, 12:06 »
Hi folks, haven’t been around for a while.  We haven’t been able to get to our plot (privately owned) for most of the last two years due to flooding and then Covid.  The site owner has charged full fees during these times (€450 per year) and when we finally got up last week we discovered that he has turned half the site into an industrial area for his business and that the road for the trucks is right opposite my plots (behind a fence so not a danger but unsightly and throwing dust and fumes towards my plot).  I have decided that it isn’t worth it anymore and now plan to leave at the end of this year (I have already paid for this year until December).  During the lockdowns we created a lovely growing area in our garden and we will just use this. 

I will be taking most stuff with me but I am wondering if I can take my fruit bushes which have been in the ground for about 8 years.  Is it worth trying or would I be better starting with new in the garden.  If I am able to move them when is best and how do I go about it.

TIA

Eblana

jezza

Re: Moving fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 15:36 »
Hello depending what the fruit bushes are try taking cuttings or buy new pot grown and plant now you might get a bit of fruit this year     jezza

Christine

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 18:33 »
Autumn - October - is a good month to move over here. But at that age the bushes need to be something special for you to invest in the major root moving jobs with the risk of them not liking the new site. As Jezza says, take cuttings if you specially like something. Otherwise ask your friend/family/neighbours for presents of fruit bushes for birthdays/special festivals/no good reason but they like you type presents.

Wilf

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 19:24 »
I moved a few raspberry canes and gooseberry bushes in February this year and they are doing fine. It’s best to move them when dormant I think

xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 15, 2019, 15:42
by Goosegirl
xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2016, 10:20
by Trikidiki
xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 22:16
by aubergine
xx
moving Fruit bushes

Started by Rugratzz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 21:25
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.982 seconds with 32 queries.