moving Fruit bushes

• 4 Replies

Rugratzz

moving Fruit bushes
« on: September 12, 2011, 19:07 »
I have just taken over an allotment at the moment its just graas and weeds, with some plants of some sort. I live in Denmark,  little country east of Newcastle, but the locals are not much help. I have two problems

Please help me out, I have 6 fruit bushes 3 red current and 3 black current,  I would like to move them as they are dotted around the site, and I would like to get them together. When would be the best time of year to move them, I have read conflicting information some people say early spring and other say at the end of the year. If I take as much soil and roots as possible when should I do the deed?

Secondly I have some bamboo, a sort of bush (well whats left of it) around 8 feet by 2 feet. I want to remove it. is it just a question of digging it out and with some lick getting all the roots, or is there a better method, I can only use natural weed killers, as they have funny laws here in Denmark regarding the chemicals you can put into the soil.

I hope this is the right section.

RR
Gandhi: "You can judge a society by the way it treats its animals."

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: moving Fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 19:14 »
Welcome to the forum and good to have another member 'from abroad' Always interesting to compare ideas etc.

Firstly, the really best time (imho) to move fruit bushes is in mid autumn when leaves have dropped as the soil is still warm enough to encourage root growth before winter sets in, and leaves do not lose water from the plant before the roots are fully functional again.

Some say spring is better, and if this is the only alternative, as long as the bushes are moved before the leaves grow, it should be OK.

The bamboo is a thug and the only way to deal with it is digging and burning, I'm afraid  :ohmy: :ohmy:

Hard work, and anything left soon grows again so get out any new bits straight away.

Hope that helps  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 19:44 »
Welcome to the site  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Rugratzz

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 19:54 »
Thanks sunshineband and Yorkie

Everyone i asked took in a deep breath and smiled. Well thankfully there is not to much of it.

Thanks for the adivce.

I certainly will be asking questions. Its my first Allotment, when in the Uk I had a large garden and grew spuds, peas carrots and the like. Its hard to get different types of veg, that I consider to be normal in the Uk Swede, cannot get it, its seems you can ony get a couple of types of potato, not the choiceds you have in the UK. it seems I will have to do some ordering over the net, assuming they will allow it into the country, they have some odd rules >:(

RR

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 21:25 »
You may find that potatoes have some odd rules attached to them about exporting outside of Britain -- usually has this made clear on the site listing them.

Seeds might be easier --- not sure  :unsure:

xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2016, 10:20
by Trikidiki
xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 15, 2019, 15:42
by Goosegirl
xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2021, 19:24
by Wilf
xx
Moving fruit bushes

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 22:16
by aubergine

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 28 queries.