Plum suckers? What to do with stumps?

• 3 Replies

Cirrus

Plum suckers? What to do with stumps?
« on: June 17, 2020, 15:42 »
Hello
I've just taken on a new plot, my first 'real' allotment plot. I'm really excited, but it is very overgrown. There is one side which has dozens of small thin trees radiating out from a large plum tree, I assume they are suckers as they have the same leaves but they have no fruit. I'm gradually cutting them down, the trunks are only around 1 inch thick, and in groups. This is leaving a whole area of small stumps. I'm wondering what to do with this part of the allotment. I think digging up the stumps will be a nightmare. Would it work to leave them in place and put my compost bins here? Or could I grow something in this spot, leaving the stumps in? It is a south-facing boarder so it seems a shame to use it for the bins. Would raspberries grow here?
I would appreciate any advice.

RichardA

Re: Plum suckers? What to do with stumps?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 20:51 »
I have had the similar situation for years under a damson tree but as it was in my orchard I just cut off the suckers and any roots that poked up a couple of times a year. I tripped over many of them the rest of the year. I left it as rough grass. WE built a house on the spot two years ago so whilst builder here we ripped the roots out. Suckers still come back and now under flower beds so every chance I get I take an axe to any residual roots. Sorry not to have a solution but my limited experience suggests that as long as you have the tree you will have suckers that will push past or through gravel or sleepers and up into any compost bins. If you take tree down that is a shame and hell of a job and will still leave roots in ground so still suckers. Could you live with suckers and cutting off as and when you can find time and energy and plant soft fruit such as gooseberries amongst them. But tree will take most of water and nutrients from any crops.hope someone has better ideas!!!!!!

Cirrus

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 21:35 »
Thanks RichardA - now you have mentioned it, it could well be a Damson. It sounds like keeping on top of the suckers is the best I can do, thank you for your reply I really appreciate it.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 02:04 »
Try splitting the top of each stump with an axe, then place a small quantity of granular nitrogen fertilizer on top of each stump.  The fertilizer will accelerate decomposition. and kill the stump.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

question
Tree Stumps?

Started by Mike.white on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 06:41
by Rangerkris
xx
Getting rid of tree stumps!

Started by Zambezi on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 13:05
by Dominic
clip
Tomatoe suckers

Started by azk404 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 10:50
by mumofstig
xx
Raspberry suckers

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 15:17
by greenhead

Page created in 0.823 seconds with 36 queries.