Trouble with peas and beans sprouting

• 4 Replies

prakash_mib

Trouble with peas and beans sprouting
« on: June 14, 2020, 07:46 »
I am annoyed that none of the two batches of peas and the dwarf beans never sprouted at the plot. Nothing comes up. The ground is not disturbed to blame the pigeons as well.
The soil is dusty like a 5th day pitch in chennai. Not just at the top. It’s dusty 8 inches down as well. I dont know how to grow them.  The smaller the seed the easier they sprout at plot
Any suggestions please? Its very annoying as it used to be easy growing for peas in my old plot which had clay soil.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 07:46 by prakash_mib »
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Re: Trouble with peas and beans sprouting
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 08:47 »
I don't know anything about your sprouting problem Prakash, but I was in Chennai in April/May one time and it was viciously hot. The locals told me they call it the murder season, because of how close to the edge the folks get with it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 09:18 »
I think you may have described at least part of your problem - the dryness of the soil.  Seeds need water to help them germinate and then survive.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 11:51 »
Yes, water is the answer, Prakash.

The way I sow peas to pull out a broad drill about an inch or more deep and 3 inches wide.  I then water it well, I think you should fill it with water a couple of times, have a cup of tea while it’s sinking in, well two cups of tea maybe.  Sow the pea seeds about 2 inches apart both along and across your seed drill.  Cover them with soft soil and water again.  I then peg a layer of fleece over the row to keep the birds and mice off an uncover them when they are pushing the fleece up.  Pigeons can be a problem eating the pea shoots too so I fight them off with netting.

It sounds like a lot of trouble but it’s well worth it when your eating delicious fresh peas.

prakash_mib

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 15:04 »
Ok will try that again next year. Prakash Jr. is gutted because he watered them daily for three weeks and the second  batch  for two weeks before finally giving up.

xx
Dry Beans Sprouting, Help!

Started by LotuSeed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2015, 13:05
by allotmentann
xx
Sprouting mung beans

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 13:39
by LilacSandy
xx
Peas and Beans

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 17:06
by DD.
xx
Beans and Peas

Started by greenockian on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 21:22
by DavidT

Page created in 0.731 seconds with 33 queries.