Sprouting mung beans

• 8 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Sprouting mung beans
« on: May 25, 2011, 21:29 »
I want to have a go at doing some bean sprouts, especially mung because I luv them in stir fries. But can I use the dried mung beans on sale at my supermarket or do I have to buy the sprouting beans from seed suppliers and that kind of source? It's hard to credit they can be the same, given that 500g from my supermarket costs £1.50 against £11 for the same quantity from a seed supplier, but is it possible to use the supermarket stuff?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Sprouting mung beans
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 21:31 »
I'd give it a try with the supermarket ones  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 21:46 »
I'm with Yorkie just use the supermarket ones. Been (no pun) using them for a good while and they are delicious. Be careful how much light they are exposed to or they will go green. A darkish warm place is best and ensure they are washed with clean water on a daily basis. They take about 10 days to grow.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 21:52 »
Great, thanks for that. Would a kitchen cupboard do for a warm dark place, or is that too dark? I've also got a corner of the worktop where I could tuck them away, where it doesn't get much light because it's hemmed in by the bread making machine. And if they're on the worktop there'd be less chance of me forgetting to do the daily watering. Which would be best?

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 22:04 »
I would try the corner of the worktop as I'm the same and would forget them if they were tucked away in a cupboard. If the temperature is reasonably warm they will be ready in a few days. If you can remember rinse them every 8 to 12 hours. Best to experiment a little with the conditions to see what gets best results for you.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 23:51 »
Ta :)

prakash_mib

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:58 »
just to add. the sprouty bit we are eating is actually the roots. so it better be very dark (as it would be under the earth)
I did sprouted them (like the ones in supermarket size) in my airing cupboard (with boiler in it)
didnt bother to wash daily.
soaked overnight. placed them on kitchen  towel on a plate and covered it with polythene. left it in the dark I was successful twice but the third time I failed to use it before it went mouldy in a weeks time.  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 13:11 »
I got some supermarket dried mung beans and they're sprouting very well. However, the sprouts are very thing and spindly, and I was kind of hoping for thicker sprouts for using in stir fries. The reason I picked mung beans was because I read somewhere that those were the sprouts we buy in packs for stir fries. Is it that the thicker sprouts aren't mung beans, or is it that sprouts grown at home will never get as thick as commercially grown sprouts for some reason?

LilacSandy

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 13:39 »
Hi,

Try this website, they have great instructions for all sprouting beans

http://sproutpeople.org/seeds/mung.html

xx
Mung beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 19:56
by Lemon
xx
Putting mung beans to good use

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 20:09
by gardener247
xx
Mung beans for green manure.

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 12:22
by SpudtheBinx
xx
Mung Beans, Adzuki Beans

Started by garrarufa on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 03, 2019, 19:40
by garrarufa

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 37 queries.