Compost bin on new patch with images

• 3 Replies

Benny130

• Experienced Member
Compost bin on new patch with images
« on: April 22, 2020, 17:11 »
Hi all. Thanks again in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

The big square open compost bin on the new patch is raising some questions because I’m not 100% sure what’s been in it. There was a fair bit of dry grass on top and while digging it over a third of the way down was what I assumed was slimy grass. Furthe towards the bottom the material looked better. Like soil but was very wet and compacted.

Would you risk using this on your beds? I’ve dug it all over now but if I can’t use it I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it all!

5806CA88-E3ED-41EF-8CEA-1EEA6679A635.jpeg
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 17:12 by Benny130 »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost bin on new patch with images
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 17:15 »
I wouldn't see any real issues with using it, once it's mixed in structurally and dried out a little.

However, if you're not sure about whether it might have had the aminopyralid herbicide weedkiller in, then plant a few bean seeds in it and let them grow before applying it to the garden.  If the beans grow healthily without distorted foliage then it's fine.  Better to delay using it than put it on the ground and then have contamination issues.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 13:49 »
Great plan thanks

polo71

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 14:20 »
How big is it and is it on your plot and only for your use ? Personally I would put in a divider and have 2 smaller bins and I would have a top on it. If its slimly the chances are its just grass cuttings, You could if you divide the bin turn it and add cardboard / paper (shredded is better) and more brown material and maybe a few layers of straw / dried grass and that will help get air into it and therefore heat. Without a top and by top it could even be a tarp you will struggle to get any descent material to use as it will always be too wet.

We have 3 1m boxes and can make descent usable compost in 8 /9 months no problem but we control the heat and moisture. If you squeeze a hand full there should be no more then 2 drops of moisture drip out and if you rub thru your hands it should crumble.

Here is a pic of some i turned last week that is 5 months old. Second photo is this months new bin   
a235.jpg
a234.jpg

xx
Are molehills a good addition to the compost heap/veg patch?

Started by VickyR on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 19, 2007, 21:52
by mkhenry
xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
New patch

Started by Fluff on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 21:26
by richyrich7
xx
What to do with my new veg patch

Started by AledE on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 21:34
by peapod

Page created in 1.426 seconds with 32 queries.