squash varieties

• 17 Replies

jambop

squash varieties
« on: October 30, 2019, 19:20 »
OK lost interest in butternut a bit and looking for something different... suggestions please  :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: squash varieties
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 20:42 »
For me best tasting.... Crown Prince and then my second fave is Sweet Dumpling.
Sweet dumpling are lush, cut in half and scoop seeds out and fill with a reyt good curry and bake.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 21:52 »
I usually grow Crown Prince, Blue Banana, Blue Hungarian (this one doesn't break up when cooked in eg curries), Thelma Saunders, Uchiki Kuri and Honey Bear
All tasty and different.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 22:54 »
Every year I grow Thelma Sanders, Uchiki Kuri, Celebration/Festival and Tromba d'Albenga.
This year I had my first real success with Butternut, the variety was Sweetmax - I don't know if it was the weather or just this new to me variety, but will grow them again next year.
I also like the larger varieties Queensland Blue, Flat White Boer & Jarrahdale.
I have a packet of 'T&M's High Sugar Mix' - different small varieties, that don't take up much room - but they've all been lovely so far :)

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 23:07 »
My favourites are Thelma Sanders, Flat White Boer, Sucrette, Boston and Musquee de Provence.

jambop

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 08:17 »
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try crown prince and muscade de Provence , which we see a lot in the shops sold by the slice or section... it is quite a nobbly thing.

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 09:07 »
I've found Crown Prince to be the best tasting and also the best for keeping.  Mine have always lasted easily until the end of March/April the following year with no problems. 

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 18:49 »
yep crown prince seems to be the choice for many including me we have ordered crown prince seed to try as well as hunter jack o'lantern Waltham and tom fox probably grow Atlantic Giant for the pumpkin show held in the village  :nowink:

Flowertot

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 22:50 »
Jambop, I am Australian and grew up eating Queensland Blue (MoS mentions it above). It is hard to peel as it has a hard, thick skin but it’s definite worth the effort in my view - it keep for ages and tastes absolutely fantastic roasted (think caramel, not watery like a butternut  8). I’ve tried to grow it in England but it only works well for me in a really long hot summer as it doesn’t ripen to its full flavour without lots of sun over a long period (ie like in Queensland  ::)). So I tried Crown Prince which is similar (but not quite as tasty...) and more suited to the English climate and it does really well for me here. You are in the South of France so you are likely to be able to ripen Queensland Blue well. That’s my tip and what I would try where you are. I may or may not be biased!  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 11:00 »
If you want a rich tasting squash, the Japanese kabocha type are worth considering.  I grow Black Futsu, which is a smallish fruit that is dark purple/green and goes orange in store.  I got 7 off one plant this year and it is the one closest in the picture.  It is really chestnutty (is that a word?) and different from anything else I have grown.

The picture is lifted off my diary, so if you want to expand it, it is here  :)

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=129333.msg1520428#msg1520428

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 11:03 by New shoot »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 14:08 »
They look nice NS - Black Futsu  :wacko: I think I grew these once, and they were very hard to cut into.
Are they the same for you?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 08:26 »
I think I grew these once, and they were very hard to cut into.
Are they the same for you?

No, not that I have noticed.  I think Crown Prince is tougher tbh.

jaydig

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 16:13 »
I grew some winter hubbards once because I'd read that they tasted wonderful.  A whole drawer full of various knives and cutting implements, plus one or two near misses that might have resulted in needing an ambulance, I gave up and composted the lot.  I never did get to find out if the flavour was good,but at least I retained my appendages.  Probably needed a circular saw just to open one.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 09:26 »
You can put a whole squash in a moderate oven to cook, then cut it open afterwards.  I've done it a few times when I want squash for something and have the oven on anyway.  Obviously that would be a challenge with a monster sized Crown Prince  :lol:  I saw Jamie Oliver do it with a shop bought butternut and thought hmmmmm, but it works  :)

The very outer skin detaches from the rest, goes hard and peels off easily.  The seeds are a bit messier to get out than if raw, but not that bad. You can roast to the softness you want depending on whether you want to chunk it up, scoop it for soup or whatever.

Even if I have cut a squash up, I tend to roast it with the skin on, rather than faff about peeling.  You lose a lot less doing it this way as well - fingers as well as squash  ;)  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 09:45 »
  You lose a lot less doing it this way as well - fingers as well as squash  ;)  :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
Squash varieties

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 20:42
by arugula
xx
How many varieties of Squash is everyone growing this year

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 08:12
by jennyb
clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Which varieties... Help please

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 14:07
by monkeywobbler

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 48 queries.