to manure or not to manure that is the question?

• 8 Replies

rowlandwells

to manure or not to manure that is the question?
« on: August 29, 2019, 18:18 »
I've always been in favour of using manure on our allotments and in my opinion its  the best thing one can do to feed the ground I collect and stack my  horse manure then spread it on the ground prior to winter ploughing

although last year I was to ill to plough the ground till spring so the ground didn't get the winter weather to break it up so it took more cultivation anyway manure I was speaking to a friend of ours that grows very good veg crops and I asked him what manure he used horse or cattle dung

he laughed at me and said I don't use any of that only chicken pellets why would I go to all that trouble to barrow dung on my plot when I get the same results using chicken pellets this took me back a bit because I must have moved many barrows of manure on the plot and there he is with brassicas onions and many more veg much better than I grow and he says horse and cattle manure contains many weed seed that grow faster than the veg seed or plants

so I'm giving using manure some thought now using it on our raised beds I'm considering using more green manure for my open ground and chicken pellets or 6x on the beds as a trial next season
I've also been given several loads of wood chippings that are heaped up don't know if they would any good to spread on the ground not sure about using wood chippings on the ground some thing I need more advise on before broadcasting it all over the plot I could end up jumping in at the deep end if the chippings are not compatible to the ground

what's your thoughts on this topic together with any advise will be very much appreciated

Offwego

• Experienced Member
Re: to manure or not to manure that is the question?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 19:43 »
I use both manure and seaweed , my personal view is that chicken pellets feed the plants but manure feeds the soil.
I’ve just covered two of my beds with 6” well rotted horse muck and will do the others before the year is out

jambop

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 20:10 »
I use both manure and seaweed , my personal view is that chicken pellets feed the plants but manure feeds the soil.
I’ve just covered two of my beds with 6” well rotted horse muck and will do the others before the year is out
Manure gives the soil something that chicken pellets does not... body and fiber. Chicken manure is just a fertiliser in my view , good to help things grow but adds little to the soil. If I had poor soil I would not be putting chicken manure on it I would opt for nice well rotted farm yard muck!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 20:20 »
Thank you for posting this - I was just wondering how many bags I was going to need this autumn!  :D

I usually throw it on my raised beds (with some sharp sand - I have very heavy clay), cover with cardboard and let the worms work it in to the soil.  By spring there's hardly anything left, and very little in the way of weeds.  Still, I struggle with lugging it around, and cost is also an issue...

I'm sure that the soil benefits from the added bulk of manure in terms of moisture retention, texture and aeration, but this year I may try casting chicken and 6X pellets and see what happens.  It would certainly be a lot easier for me!  :)

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 20:48 »
Yes I agree wholeheartedly with continuing using the manure, since I now follow no dig principles I just leave my well rotted compost/manure on the top as a mulch & plant into it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Snowpea

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 23:24 »
Any manure is good but I agree with the others about the pellets. The only thing I know about stable manure is not to use it too fresh. Horse urine is pretty potent stuff. My soil is pretty heavy clay and I find growing green manure helps to improve the structure. Have you considered a dressing of gypsum as well? 
 If barrowing around the manure is becoming a bit of an issue what about doing a swapsee with a few stout lads and lasses on your allotment, or that you perhaps know. They help barrow the manure and you help them with something.  :) I did that with my brother some years back. I did some sewing for him in return for helping me in the garden.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 13:58 »
I agree about manure in whatever stage contains weed seeds, but at the same time soil structure is very important too. If your soil is in fine heart just try chicken pellets or 6X and see what happens next year. Adding gypsum works but it takes quite a long time before you see any benefits.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 16:43 »
interesting replies especially gypsum as I know it be used on by farmers and I note that using manure does structure the ground  we use well rotted horse manure but I think cattle manure takes some beating to structure the ground  :unsure:

as I said I'm looking into using a good green manure to see if that will also structure the ground as good as horse or cattle manure I'm favouring  trying mustard white Tilney sowings can be made from March-September maybe I mite end up going back to horse or cattle manure if that don't work out

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 14:54 »

There is no food value in chicken pellets , look at the ingredients, most manures, compost or other organic  stuff will be spread in a thick layer over the ground and will do good, does anyone think that a hand full of pellets  with very little food value scattered willy nilly,  one pellet every six  inches or so will do any good, I think not.

Cheers!
STOP, and smell the roses!

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
manure question

Started by detox on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 17:34
by Joseph
xx
manure question

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 18, 2013, 08:09
by goodtogrow
xx
manure question

Started by dno71 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 08:05
by smc

Page created in 0.822 seconds with 37 queries.