Planting onions in this weather!

• 14 Replies

DGBcdb

Planting onions in this weather!
« on: April 11, 2018, 14:48 »
Hi all
I have a mass of onion sets to go out but it’s so wet. We had a five hour rain storm overnight and everything  is sopping again so I’m afraid of rot. I also don’t want to go on the soil when it’s this wet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
David

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
Re: Planting onions in this weather!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 16:16 »
Hi all
I have a mass of onion sets to go out but it’s so wet. We had a five hour rain storm overnight and everything  is sopping again so I’m afraid of rot. I also don’t want to go on the soil when it’s this wet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
David

Try and give it another week. The weather is set to pick up next week.

A old timer told me that the last week in April is fine and better than them sitting in cold wet soil.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 17:03 »
Tracy your a real optimist but hopefully your rite god bless the weather men and ladies of cause I think sun is predicted for next week so of comes the jumper role up the shirt sleeves lets get stuck in

having said that I will probably get soaked by a rain storm down the allotments  :lol:

jambop

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 17:19 »
The best onions I have ever grown were planted out in mid May into very wet soil in desperation. They were seed grown and went on to produce amazing five and six inch onions which kept superbly! I am in France and the summer turned out to be brilliant after the terrible spring... so i hope for the same this year because this spring has been the same  :lol:

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 18:33 »
Tracy your a real optimist but hopefully your rite god bless the weather men and ladies of cause I think sun is predicted for next week so of comes the jumper role up the shirt sleeves lets get stuck in

having said that I will probably get soaked by a rain storm down the allotments  :lol:

Don't worry, I'm right. Just you wait , you'll be in your shorts by next weekend ..not this weekend, next weekend.   :D

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 20:12 »
You could always pop them into disposable pots in MPC until the ground is a bit warmer and dryer.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 12:52 »
I always start my onions off in seed trays. Take a tray of moist compost and just plant the sets into the surface about 2" apart. They will take root and sprout and when the ground is ready they can be transplanted. The roots can be 6" long so the birds will not be able to pull then out. Mine have been sprouting since I bought them say 3 weeks ago. I have just transplanted them because the soil is more favourable. I have done the same thing with shallots.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 15:48 »
Put my onions in last week and some are already starting to produce shoots.
Can’t do much about the wet ground but hopefully next week will be warmer and dry
Cheers HH
Keep digging

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 18:14 »
I start the onions sets off in trays of compost.I've covered the ground with cloches for a few days, plant 2 rows and move the cloches.hopefully get them all in tomorrow

Notty1975

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 19:23 »
I started mine in pots this year and they’ve been in the ground for just over a week now and going strong
2429F1E5-9643-4E18-9658-FF13B8FC4E82.jpeg
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 19:24 by Notty1975 »

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 09:28 »
I started mine in pots this year and they’ve been in the ground for just over a week now and going strong

What a brilliant set up ! They are like little soldiers .  :)

I've just shown my husband this photo as he is sat having his breakfast surrounded by pots on every surface in the house hoping he'll give in to me saying a potting shed is what we need more than a Cruise round the Med !  :D

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 17:46 »
like most my onions and shallots are still sitting here in trays and I tend to agree with Tracy old timer better sitting in trays till  the end of April than cold wet soil

and its going to be shorts weather "A Tracy next weekend that should be worth seeing with my white legs  :D

Notty1975

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 19:33 »
What a brilliant set up ! They are like little soldiers .  :)

I've just shown my husband this photo as he is sat having his breakfast surrounded by pots on every surface in the house hoping he'll give in to me saying a potting shed is what we need more than a Cruise round the Med !  :D
[/quote]

I built it myself from scratch the bench the onions are on actually drop down so when the tomatoes are ready there’s plenty of room for them here’s a pic of the outside of it
AD3EF43C-57A5-42DF-A617-538B017B0DEA.jpeg

Eblana

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 19:39 »
OMG I am sooo jealous.

jambop

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 09:08 »
I always grow mine from seed and looking back at my diary I find the best ever onions I grew did not go into the soil until the 12th of May ! That was back in 2012 when we had a wet spring and a really nice summer. So to be honest I am in no hurry whatsoever to get my onions in the ground. I have some really great seedlings which are just in a really big pots they will grow on and the be planted out with a dibber after removing the compost around the roots. I find this a far better option than growing them in modules and the planting up the module simply because the soil is much firmer around the roots and they seem to enjoy that.

xx
Planting Onions

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 20:04
by Elaine G
xx
Planting onions

Started by Bobby T on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 20:12
by SkipRat
xx
onions and shallot planting

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 11, 2014, 17:10
by Wiltshire Worms
xx
Onions - any point in planting them?

Started by goldfinch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 18:29
by pushrod

Page created in 0.792 seconds with 43 queries.