Potatoes in raised beds

• 5 Replies

Vegpot

Potatoes in raised beds
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:56 »
Hello

Quick question about how to grow potatoes in raised beds - the bed is almost 2ft deep and full of topsoil, do I just make trenches for the seed pots about a foot down?  The only problem is when they need earthing up - the soil will be higher than the beds, is that a problem or should I plant them deeper to begin with?  Anyone else done this?  :?

woodsmoke

Potatoes in raised beds
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:16 »
Interested in this too.  To earth up or not to earth up?  I don't earth up my pink fir apple at all because they seem to grow shallowly and outwards so more harm would seem to be done than benefit.  Lat year the heavy rains washed the earthing up slopes off the potatoes and made them green.  I find earthing up difficult and have tried planting in mounds (looks like a burial ground across my raised beds) and then just topping up the soil between the mounds with grass cuttings or whatever is available.  I have read about not earthing up at all just increasing the general depth as spuds grow with organic matter.  Seems that some real trials are needed in this area (veg growing rather than flowers) as often books repeat received wisdom.  I am the only person on my site growing on a bed system yet I know this is a good tried and tested way.  A lot of allotmenteers don't seem to try anything different.  Writing far too much but I have time on my hands!  A beautiful day in East Kent but cannot get to the allotment.  Aaaargghhh!  What a waste.  never mind.  Can always wash pots.

Annie

Potatoes in raised beds
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 10:35 »
We dig trenches,pop the potatoes in the bottom and put about 6" soilon top.slowly fill the trench as the folliage grows and earth up a little once the trench is full,if there is still a chance of frost then straw around the plants is great or grass cuttings at a push but put a little on at a time or you just get a slimmey mess.We also put 2 foot high trellis around the edges of the potato beds because being raised we find the wind and heavy rain makes the folliage fall over over the paths.

Vegpot

Potatoes in raised beds
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:18 »
Thanks both - it's a bit of dilemma isn't it!  I think I might just try planting a bit deeper to start with, and try not to have the burial mound look!! That made me laugh!  :D

I found when I grew potatoes (maincrop) in big bags, they were a lot shallower growing than I expected and there was about 6-8 inches of soil beneath them untouched, so I hope with planting a bit deeper I might get away with little or no mounding.

Good luck with your spuds!

Annie

Potatoes in raised beds
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 11:22 »
I think with some varieties the earthing up is mostly frost protection,after all some people grow under black plastic and get reasonable crops.

Trillium

Potatoes in raised beds
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 16:09 »
I hate earthing up so I tried planting the seed potatoes deeper. Doesn't work for most varieties as they'll seek out a normal 'starting' height in the soil to grow, which is closer to the soil level (and warmth of sun). They also grow upward rather than downward. Now I just rake out my bed, plant as usual, then draw soil from both sides as needed. If I run short, I do as the others do and add straw, but don't need to add much straw by then.

xx
POTATOES in RAISED BEDS

Started by jockstrop on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 21:53
by sunshineband
xx
Potatoes in Raised Beds.

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 15:58
by Goosegirl
xx
potatoes in raised beds

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 17, 2019, 09:11
by rowlandwells
xx
Potatoes in raised beds.

Started by paul2004 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 14:19
by Trillium

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 36 queries.