planting seeds

• 2 Replies

keith dale

planting seeds
« on: January 28, 2008, 16:12 »
Last year I cut three strips in toilet paper and stuck Carrot seeds (two rows per strip at 1/2" spacings, onion seeds and beetroot at 1" spacings onto the strips.In the garden using the batons ( approx 12 ft long)  used to install tiles on the roof. I spaced them three inches apart using 3" offcuts of the batons to screw them together in parallel. I then layed these onto the plot and filed the gap between the batons with a 50/50 mix of sand and peat. I then rolled out the seed strips and covered the seeds wit the same mixture. The entire rows were covered with plastic as this was early February The results were excellent, never had to weed between the plants, only thin them out and to hoe between the rows was made easy, as the batons acted as a guide. Am I a plant nutter or do other people do this.

WG.

planting seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 16:13 »
You are a nutter and will therefore fit in here just fine.  Welcome to the forum Keith :D

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
planting seeds
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 18:00 »
we've never gone to such extremes but we normally save our cherry tomato seeds by drying them on circles of kitchen towel then plant the paper. Strips of tissue is ingeneous!

xx
planting seeds

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 17:40
by compostqueen
xx
Planting seeds

Started by Pete C on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 22:05
by Pete C
xx
What seeds should I be planting around now (mid Oct)

Started by tinyallotment on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 08:02
by Kristen
xx
when planting seeds

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 14:27
by DD.

Page created in 0.63 seconds with 28 queries.