What seeds should I be planting around now (mid Oct)

• 14 Replies

tinyallotment

• Size isn't everything
    • Tiny Allotment
What seeds should I be planting around now (mid Oct)
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:53 »
I am trying to maximise the amount of food I produce on my tiny allotment but I am still very much a newby when it comes to growing stuff and although I do try different methods of growing I am still stuck in the paradigm of planting in the spring and harvesting late summer/early autumn and forget the whole thing over the winter.

We do have quite a mild climate down here on the Cornish coast and I do have a modest polytunnel  I can grow in.

I have planted around 400 onion seed (back in august) for over wintering and we still have stuff in the ground such as swiss chard and sprouts but what could I be sowing now in the ground and in the tunnel to give me a good start on next season.

I also have my barrel garden http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=117168.0  to plant up. Maybe I can put some of my onions in there.

Anyway. I need some guidance

paul

BabbyAnn

Re: What seeds should I be planting around now (mid Oct)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 13:51 »
but what could I be sowing now in the ground and in the tunnel to give me a good start on next season.

Even in Cornwall, it's getting late to be sowing seeds outside - even broad beans should have been planted last month.  Not a lot actually grows in winter (except weeds and grass when it's mild) because it is not just about warmth but there is a daylight issue - number of hours as well as sun strength  ;)

I'm currently planting my garlic - for me that's about now until early-mid November at the latest (more to do with my plot at the bottom of a hill than regional differences) but you could easily still plant well into December. While the soil is just warm enough to encourage root growth at this time of year, the green tops shouldn't make a show until mid-late winter (January/February/March) ... providing Mother Nature doesn't give us another mild winter  ::)  I should warn that garlic won't be ready for lifting until about mid July depending on the variety planted.

crh75

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 14:19 »
On the plot you can sow broad beans, and plant garlic and shallots.  In the tunnel you can sow overwintering peas and winter salads (lettuces, stir fry leaves, radishes, spring onions). 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 14:29 »
Yes, and perennial spinach should still germinate now, as will things like Mizuna, Tatsoi and mustards and Japanese spring onions for salads (picked young) or stirfry when bigger.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 14:32 by mumofstig »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 16:24 »
even broad beans should have been planted last month

I would have thought it was too early for Broad Beans (over wintering varieties such as Aquadulce), particularly Down South :), rather than too late?  I think early-sown they will make too much top before any potential cold weather arrives.

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 21:04 »
having planted broad beans wayyyy too early in mid september and now looking at a great crop of flowers, also waayyyy too early ... that planting now and into November would be a much better plan !

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 21:17 »
just planted my wizzard beans today also overwintering onion sets. you could also set Jerusalem Artichokes now 
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

muddled

• gone plotterin'
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 22:51 »
Here in London, on nasty thick clay, I get great results from sowing 'Douce Provence' peas in November. I find that my winter sown broadbeans are rarely ready much sooner than spring sown....but it cheers me up no end to see them when I'm working the plot in darkest winter so I'll bung 'em in for that alone.

I just got given a greenhouse so I'm sowing spring onions and hispi cabbage. It's not the right time but there's a squillion seed in the packet so no great loss if the few dozen I've sown come to nowt....and you never know your luck... I might get some spring greens out of it :D

I'm also pruning my blackcurrants and 'heeling in' the prunings in the hope that they'll take....might be worth checking with other plotholders to see if they have any going begging?

Robster

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 18:11 »
I've recently sown winter density lettuce and white Lisbon spring onions in the earth in a cold frame.  Onion sets been out for a while.  Broad beans won't get sown until first week in November.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 10:52 »
having planted broad beans wayyyy too early in mid september and now looking at a great crop of flowers, also waayyyy too early ... that planting now and into November would be a much better plan !

Broad beans overwinter much more successfully as small, sturdy plants so an early November sowing is a much better bet really imho. (and yes, learned that the hard way  :lol: )

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

muddled

• gone plotterin'
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 17:06 »

If you dug them in now, would they be of benefit as a nitrogen fixing green manure? (genuine question by the way...I'm just wondering aloud)

Steveharford

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 17:13 »
Yes Im sure they would. Ive got Wizard  broad  beans to go in shortly, just for that purpose

kirpi

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 17:18 »
I dislike broad beans, but grow them every late autumn just as a way of holding the soil nutrients over winter and providing a green manure to hoe in next spring. Usually much cheaper than specific green manure seed.

tinyallotment

• Size isn't everything
    • Tiny Allotment
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 20:10 »
WOW! Thanks for all the replies. I'm off to the real seed company to order some seeds

paul

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 08:02 »
If you dug them in now, would they be of benefit as a nitrogen fixing green manure? (genuine question by the way...I'm just wondering aloud)
Best to leave them until you are ready to re-plant with a new crop. I seem to remember reading that cutting off the tops of, say, Runners (i.e. to leave the roots behind) in the Autumn is of little benefit to Spring crops as the Nitrogen absorbed into the root nodules of the beans is lost?? by the Spring.

Alternatively cut down (probably a bit early if they are still pretty small) and allow to regrow. Not sure that would work for a crop? although it might if the regrowth was thinned, but that is a technique used for Field Beans (green manure) if they start to flower and the land is not ready for the follow-on crop

But I'm just thinking out loud, not very sure of my facts!

xx
planting seeds

Started by keith dale on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2008, 18:00
by mdueal
xx
re: planting seeds outside

Started by rhythmvick on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 11:46
by rhythmvick
xx
when planting seeds

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 14:27
by DD.
xx
planting seeds

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 17:40
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.701 seconds with 32 queries.