Mice/voles

• 8 Replies

rebeccag

Mice/voles
« on: August 07, 2017, 08:08 »
Hi I have a veggie garden and we live in a rural area surrounded by fields. This yr I am having problems with mice/ voles i think. My beetroot has been all nibbled away on the bits exposed , the whole crop is ruined. Also on some of the beds certain veg isn't thriving, you can see holes in the soil  & when you dig there are tunnels so some of the veg is trying to grow with no soil underneath . Any ideas what to do, I don't use any chemicals so don't want to go down that route. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:09 by rebeccag »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Mice/voles
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 09:24 »
Oh how I sympathise! That is what has happened to our whole beetroot crop too, as well as some of our carrots. We are surrounded by farmland and a water meadow

I use snap-traps but find the flimsy ones next to useless. I bought some from Amazon and also Ebay called The Big Cheese, which are pre-baited. The ants carried away the bait pretty quickly so I use peanut butter, and so far, as of yesterday, I am up to 20 mice from those beds. (about £3.50 for two) They go out on the verge and Red Tailed Kites enjoy a snack. I have just bought more as they work so well.

I regularly push down the soil around plants using my fist and flood out tunnels too where I can. I wouldn't be able to grow any brassicas otherwise! They are pretty persistent though and I have to stay on it.

Also, I think I inadvertently provided lots of cover for them by growing beetroot quite close together, with a nice row of dwarf calendula alongside, so there was plenty of cover. Next year I shall be growing them far more "exposed" to try to avoid this problem. I have recently sown a single row of beetroot in an "open" bed, rather than th double row I usually grow, so I shall soon find out if this helps. I shall be sowing rows of carrots further apart too

However, this seems to be one of those population explosion years for small rodents, so hopefully they will crash next year. This has happened before, so fingers crossed!

I hope that helps a bit. I shall be interested to see what others do about this
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:26 »
Just recently our cats have caught loads of baby mice and also adult ones so methinks there are lots around at the moment especially as we live on farmland as well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 16:30 »
I feel your pain! They've been the bane of my vegetable growing life these past two years. Like you, no chemicals (although I'm not even sure if they exist for voles?)

I've also been told that there are cycles of population explosion years and then they can suddenly disappear - or maybe just move on. My fingers are crossed for that to happen next season. :unsure:

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 21:32 »
I could let you have 2 cats to help with the problem? I'm still trying to rehome them☹️
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 22:24 »
I could let you have 2 cats to help with the problem? I'm still trying to rehome them☹️

Unfortunately, I couldn't keep them on the plots  :( :( :( :(

rebeccag

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 07:03 »
Thank you everyone. I will try the spaced out planting, good idea. Looks like i've got my work cut out !!! We have a cat :) it's a great hunter but has it's work cut out coping with the mice trying to get into the house & the field of rabbits by its back door so I tbink my veggie patch is it's least concern xxxx this year is particularly bad with mice so yes maybe a bad year. Thanks everyone , nowclets go and get the little blighters .

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 08:09 »

Could you not train them to follow you down there & back lol

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 08:27 »

Could you not train them to follow you down there & back lol

Oh how I wish I could, Snowy. Mind you, they'd soon be too fat to hunt there are so many little rodents to choose from!

xx
Voles or Mice?

Started by Madnan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2016, 21:55
by Trikidiki
xx
Voles or mice?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 05:38
by parsley
xx
Moles, Voles, Rats or Mice

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2013, 14:40
by arugula
xx
Struggling with mice or possibly voles.

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2020, 18:17
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 28 queries.