Polka raspberry canes

• 11 Replies

mdjlucan

Polka raspberry canes
« on: August 03, 2017, 13:45 »
I've noticed this on my Rasbury Canes on the Leafs does this mean I've got to pull every  raspberry canes up and burn them
IMG_0683.JPG
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:03 by New shoot »
metal detector man

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Polka raspberry canes
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 11:04 »
I think they just look a little hungry for fertiliser.  I usually chuck some pelleted chicken manure on mine.

Its has been very wet and nitrogen washes out of the soil easily.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 11:21 »
If you've applied a lot of potash it could be the nitrogen is locked up. In that case, magnesium will sort it. Mix a tablespoon of epsom salts per gallon and water round the plants.
However, it could be easiest to just give them some Miracle Gro which is a high nitrogen feed with trace elements including magnesium. Liquid feeds are immediately available and the fastest solution.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mdjlucan

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 13:09 »
I done that yesterday I gave them chicken pellets also  epson salt spray  all over but somebody said that I've got a disease called crinkle virus they were saying pul them up and burn them I can't do that as I'm getting plenty and plenty of fruit of themthey are only two years old I haven't gave them any potash
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 13:14 by mdjlucan »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 13:50 »
I don't think there is any need to pull them up and burn them.  It doesn't look like a virus to me and you have done all the right things to feed them.   

It sounds like you are getting good crops off them, so enjoy your harvest and don't worry about it  :)

mdjlucan

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 15:25 »
Thank you  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 18:04 »
I've quite often seen leaves looking like that on my Autumn Bliss rasps - probably some sort of stress or nutrient deficiency, and a bit more TLC and a liquid feed usually keeps them going quite happily.

However, I have also lost a few plants (which I've had for donkey's years) from what I can only assume is some sort of virus, although in recent years their bed has gone from partly shaded to very shaded thanks to a neighbour's gigantic unpruned privet hedge, which is probably sapping their strength.  :nowink:

The difference with the plants that die is that one by one all the leaves on the cane wither and go brown, followed by the cane itself dying, then the rest of the plant.  :(

As others have said, unless that's what's happening to yours, and they're producing well, don't worry about it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 19:21 »
Mine looked just the same (if not worse) a couple of weeks ago, but a couple of weekly feeds with Miracle Gro and the top leaves are greening up nicely.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 10:55 »
I done that yesterday I gave them chicken pellets also  epson salt spray  all over but somebody said that I've got a disease called crinkle virus they were saying pul them up and burn them I can't do that as I'm getting plenty and plenty of fruit of themthey are only two years old I haven't gave them any potash

Whoever said pull them up does not know what they are talking about so ignore their advice. Epsom salts will certainly help. This sort of yellowing is common in raspberries so no need to worry.

Crinkle virus occurs in strawberries. It is not a single virus but a condition when the plants are old and infected by several viruses and their leaves a crinkled due to this. By then the plants are not yielding well and need replacing.

mdjlucan

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 20:52 »
Better pictures of the leaf
IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 22:14 »
I would say textbook examples of magnesium deficiency. This does not mean that your soil is deficient in magnesium but rather that the plants have not been able to take it up. Drought or high potash are two of the reasons ut there are others.

I doubt if the fruit yield will suffer but Epson salts will stop other leaves going the same way but probably will not cure these. Most of us just accept that it is what raspberries do sometimes.

mdjlucan

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 09:11 »
Ok thank you sorry I keep putting this issue up but is just that I worry about them I don't want to lose them  this is only the second year they been there  Once again I say thank you for your help

clip
Raspberry Polka

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2016, 12:33
by BabbyAnn
xx
Raspberry polka

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 21:26
by Yorkie
xx
Anybody Grow raspberry Polka?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 07:45
by Yorkie
xx
Old Raspberry Canes?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 24, 2008, 15:27
by woodburner

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 38 queries.