Parsnip, is this a record?

• 17 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Parsnip, is this a record?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 09:00 »
Mine have started off ok, albeit a few gaps that needed filling in, carrots the same, might dig out all the soil from the root bed and replace it with new at the season end, rotation is awkward due to heavy soil in some other parts of the plot.

We rotate round a four year cycle, and the beds into which carrots and parsnips are going in the following year have as many stones removed as possible in the Autumn previous, and then lots of home made compost or cheap mpc dug in to give a more open texture. Our "natural" soil is heavy clay with large stones and an underlying gravel pan. Stones work their way upwards into the shallowish top soil continuously, but things are improving and we can grow decent carrots and ...usually... passable parsnips.

Maybe something to consider, Thrutchington
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

victoria park

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 11:43 »
Our site suffers from shallow soil in places on top of shellet. Consequently there is a lot of stone floating about everywhere. I have for some years been using mostly the no dig/ little dig method on most of my beds, and actually this helps the carrot and parsnip crops, as deeper annual digging just brings up a whole new load of slate to the surface. But it takes years to get beds built up enough. I have a few beds now suitable for direct sowing, but rotation demands they weren't available this year.

AnneB

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 12:19 »
I have 3 raised beds that are "double height" with scaffolding planks on top of each other.  I rotate around these for my carrots and parsnips and always avoid manuring next year's bed the previous autumn.  This seems to help.

Our soil is clay but at the outset we sieved all of it in order to remove all the horse tail, old glass, bricks and other rubbish.  It seemed never ending to begin with but now the soil is good. 

xx
Parsnip seedlings/parsnip plants ?

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 11:44
by theothermarg
xx
A record?

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 18:54
by PennyS
xx
Is this a record?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 20:12
by strangerachael
xx
Worst record

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 14:40
by Plot74

Page created in 0.787 seconds with 28 queries.