Is this a record?

• 12 Replies

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
Is this a record?
« on: July 12, 2009, 08:24 »
It's OHs birthday tomorrow and he's cooking a meal for 8 people! We have this slightly irritating habit of counting the number of veg/fruit/herbs that have come from Plot 2 when we eat and the record so far is 17 in one meal, without really trying! He's given me a list of required produce which he intends to cook, steam, blanche, roast, mash, puree, dress, chop and transform them into about 8/9 courses. We're not veggies so there is some meat/fish content, but the list is so so long....22 stuffs in all!!!!!!!!!!
The menu is AMAZING :tongue2: :tongue2:
Has anyone else developed this obsession or are we alone. Or perhaps you have done better :ohmy:
I'd better get my tools and head off to Plot 2 for the harvest. Will let you know what the final count comes to tomorrow.....if I can stagger to the sofa!
Oh yes, I bought him a new food mixer and a seive for his birthday, aren't I thoughtful! :wub:
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: Is this a record?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 08:29 »
Dont you just love eating the harvest, have you got room for another 2 hahahaha.
Thanks
Kris

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:35 »
Is this a record?

No it's a brag!

Nice to do it though isn't it?

Just had a count up, only 11 products today. Mind you, they're all on the same plate!

(Apple sauce, Charlotte spuds, cabbage, carrots, runner beans, peas & stuffing made with parsley, sage, thyme, oregano & onion).

Sadly didn't grow the pork myself!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:39 »
I will be having Kale,pea's,potatoe's, dwarf frnech bean's,runner bean's and spinach. It tends to get a bit windy every now and then but its good for the diet.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:42 »
Im planning on having a meat only day  :) would want to get to healthy with all this glut of veg i seem to be having.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 09:44 »
Sorry, DD.  Didn't intend it to sound like bragging........I'm only in my 2nd year and it still seems like a miracle that anything comes up at all from those tiny seeds! :blush:

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 10:03 »
We used to play this game every time we went to the MILs for Sunday Lunch - how many veg would she serve up to pad out the meagre amount of meat?
Think the record for veg was 9
Carrots
Spuds
Parsnips
Onions
Peas
Tinned tomatoes
Baked Beans (yup - only my MIL would serve them up at Sunday lunch)
Mashed swede
Frozen brocolii, carrots & beans (yuk)

'fraid I only manage spuds, mangetoute, carrots, courgettes & chard at the mo - could include beets but no one else will eat them  ;)

ben

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 10:07 »
tinned tomatoes and backed beans for Sunday lunch ? Whats that about ?!

SAMANTHA MOLLY

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 11:46 »
I think it's lovely and its only because your proud of your efforts.
today i brought in, lettuce, toms, cucumber, cherries, squash, courgettes, peas, raspberries and strawbs.
I am vegaterian, so my food bills massively low  at the mo, oh yes and things taste like they should!!!!   

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 12:05 »
Sorry, DD.  Didn't intend it to sound like bragging........I'm only in my 2nd year and it still seems like a miracle that anything comes up at all from those tiny seeds! :blush:

Don't worry, we all like to share  the good stories as well as the not so good. Photos next time please!

Elcie

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 12:42 »
I'm not sure whether I'm most impressed at the fact that you can fit that many veg you have grown into a meal or the fact that you have an OH who is willing/able to cook an 8 course meal!  Lucky on both counts, well done you!

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 01:03 »
courgette       dwarf bean    watercress     pak choi     runnerbean    broadbean
asparagus peas    shallots   spinach   swiss chard   parsley    parsnip    carrot   potato 
leek  salad leaves   turnip   beetroot   salsify    scorzonera    garlic   coriander   rocket   
basil    borage    blueberries   raspberry     red/black currant    chives    thyme   tarragon
rosemary.....accompanying chicken roulade, mussel  mousse and pate dishes..................   alkaseltzer!          33!!!!!!!!!!!!!   9 courses
Worst thing...cold pak choi
Best thing.....blackcurrant sorbet and broad bean puree (not in the same course!)
Good company, good wine, good food, what more could you ask for?  :D

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 20:12 »
It is very satisfying to sit down for your meal and say,"everything is homegrown (except the meat/fish/cheese". I'm doing it nearly every evening at the moment, a bit like saying alternative grace.
Rachael

xx
A record?

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 18:54
by PennyS
xx
Bean Record?

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 12:00
by Stripey_cat
xx
Worst record

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 14:40
by Plot74
xx
Is this a record or just normal?

Started by Briony on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 22:58
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 36 queries.