Yield from growing spuds in a sack...

• 11 Replies

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
Yield from growing spuds in a sack...
« on: May 27, 2017, 12:21 »
Right so I could wait no longer and I emptied a bag of Lady C,  granted they'd only been in 9+weeks but have got loads of others on the go as well as some in the ground so thought it was worth a bash and can't bear buying anymore from the supermarket.  Was disappointed to get only 505g, which was made up of 14 good sized ones and 4 teeny weenies.  What sort of yield would you folks expect to get? Cheers.

steved

• Experienced Member
Re: Yield from growing spuds in a sack...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 13:01 »
How big was the bag and how many seed were in it?
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 13:03 »
At 9 weeks - I'd only expect a small amount tbh You pay for that 'first early potato lovliness with a lower yield. Growth depends on so many variable, weather watering and how much you have fed them.

Try growing inside polybags (s/market carrier bags work!) inside your containers, then you can lift the plants out gently, remove a few spuds, perhaps and then put them back in the pots to continue growing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIQJ5cZNgZU

There's a few short videos showing start to finish.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 13:39 »
How big was the bag and how many seed were in it?
Not sure of the capacity, it was one of those green potato bags from Wilko, perhaps 40litres?  Think I put three seed spuds in..

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 13:44 »
At 9 weeks - I'd only expect a small amount tbh You pay for that 'first early potato lovliness with a lower yield. Growth depends on so many variable, weather watering and how much you have fed them.

Try growing inside polybags (s/market carrier bags work!) inside your containers, then you can lift the plants out gently, remove a few spuds, perhaps and then put them back in the pots to continue growing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIQJ5cZNgZU

There's a few short videos showing start to finish.
I mixed some growmore in when I made the bag up, other than that no feed. Watered regularly.  As I made up so many bags with the ones left over from planting out on the plot I didn't go to any great lengths food wise.  The poly bag method deff sounds worth a try. 

lettice

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 14:20 »
9 weeks is way too early.
They need at least 12 weeks.
Just have a good careful hunt around with your hand to pick out a few, if you are desperate to have some early and leave the rest to carry on growing.
In a potato bag or 30-50 litre pot you should get a yield of 10-12lbs of first and second earlies.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 16:21 »
Growing in buckets and bags this year , a mix of earlies and maincrop. I recall Monty Don growing earlies so that he can have them on his birthday - 8th July , which ties in with previous comments.

Having grown maincrop on the plot in previous years , far superior taste to any that you buy , I am looking forward to seeing how plot and bag compare.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 23:10 »
I just got over 1kg of Colleen from one seed in a 15l tub. Three seed spuds of Sharpe's Express in one of those green potato planters gave about the same weight after 10 weeks but they were very small to start with. You should really expect 4-500g per seed but more the longer you leave them. The trick, as others say, is to feed and water when you are growing spuds in containers.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 18:42 »
I'm sure Marshalls won't mind if I reprint a page from their catalogue...

We bought three bags and some Annabelle spuds, (which we've grown before and are fabulous), and the bags are in a cool greenhouse.

The halms are well over chest height, and with no flowers yet. We sowed them on 16th March, so that makes them ten weeks old this week. They were well chitted.

Hmm - perhaps a quick furtle may be in order, but I'd like to go for a high yield, as the Pentland Javelin down on The Patch are pathetic, although we do have some more Annabelle in full swing down there...

(It's not a very good pic so just press Ctrl and forward the mouse wheel for the bigger picture)!
Gro-sacks (400 x 378).jpg
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 18:43 by Growster... »

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 10:29 »
Very interesting pic Growster, just shows what you can achieve.  Let us know when you've cracked open your Annabel!

lettice

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 13:17 »
Hmm - perhaps a quick furtle may be in order, but I'd like to go for a high yield, as the Pentland Javelin down on The Patch are pathetic, although we do have some more Annabelle in full swing down there...

An interesting word that, Furtle. Not heard that before. Had to goggle it.
There me being a  potato bag and bucket guru and not heard that.
Sounds weird and I got some funny looks from family and gardening neighbours today when I mentioned it :)
Think I wills stick to just saying carefully having a hunt around with your hand.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 20:54 »

An interesting word that, Furtle. Not heard that before. Had to goggle it.
There me being a  potato bag and bucket guru and not heard that.
Sounds weird and I got some funny looks from family and gardening neighbours today when I mentioned it :)
Think I wills stick to just saying carefully having a hunt around with your hand.

I think you'll find that 'to furtle' is a verb dedicated to our very own DD - Digger Dave, and a few years ago, we all marvelled at his exact term for poking around at something until you find it!

DD - otherwise known as 'The Pea God', (because he grows more peas than all of us put together), has several terms for working his garden, and without these we'd be lesser mortals!

xx
spuds in a sack

Started by penfold56 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 12:41
by penfold56
xx
New spuds - what's the yield...?

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 18:20
by arugula
xx
Early spuds yield?

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 21:11
by Losty
xx
yield for maincrop spuds

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 18:31
by bluealf

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 38 queries.