Porridge?

• 17 Replies

Sassy

Re: Porridge?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 09:36 »
Nearly 50 years ago I commented to my Grandfather that the chicken we were eating tasted of fish. He did some research and dicovered that fish meal was being fed in some places. I do not know if this still happens but chicken has little flavour these days  :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Beekissed

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 03:50 »
Nearly 50 years ago I commented to my Grandfather that the chicken we were eating tasted of fish. He did some research and dicovered that fish meal was being fed in some places. I do not know if this still happens but chicken has little flavour these days  :(

Could be because you are eating all commercially raised chicken?  They are rarely over 8 wks old when butchered and are fed a bland and unvaried diet of commercial feed, basically eating baby birds that have been eating baby food, so they have little texture and not much flavor. 

My free range flock fed on fermented layer mash ground fresh at the local mill have an incredibly good flavor, so chicken can still have a good flavor, just got to get it from the right place.  Same with the eggs....my flock's eggs taste so superior to commercially produced eggs that there really is very little comparison to be made.  If you are raising your own chickens you have the capabilities to have good tasting eggs and meat right at your fingertips if you want it.   ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 21:00 »
Can't beat free range home bred & fed chicken........ and eggs.

Which brings us back to porridge:

I am sure the brand of porridge makes a difference. I like all but have my preferences.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
porridge

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 18:32
by ness
xx
Porridge

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 19:04
by Floramac
xx
Porridge

Started by Anndee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 18:44
by Sassy
xx
Porridge Oats

Started by Prod on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 18:08
by joyfull

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 28 queries.