Is it ok for me to keep chickens?

• 2 Replies

easey558

« on: January 20, 2008, 23:35 »
We have recently moved into a lovely village and would like to keep a couple of laying hens.  My grden is not large but has plenty of room to accomadate them, but I also have two 18 month old spaniels.  I would appreciate any advice as I would want my hens to be happy! :?:
Easey558

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 23:41 »
Welcome to the forums easey558.  do pop up to the Welcome forum to introduce yourself :D

It would indeed be fine for you to keep a couple of hens in your garden.  But do not trust the dogs alone with them.  You should keep the hens in a fox (and dog) proof run while you are not in the garden with them.  Many train their dogs not to touch the hens.

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 14:09 »
We have two spaniels that live in a kennel outside at the bottom of the garden - they also have a fenced off area around it. Our 5 chickens free range in the rest of the garden and we have never had any major problems. our older dog (18months) is a softy so after a couple of days of telling him to leave the chickens he doesnt now take any notice of them. The younger dog (8mths) is a far 'better' gun dog so he could never be trusted near them - but he only wants to play with them if he dose go near them as he likes the flap and squak effect he has on them. Having said that the little dog is often more intereted in the chicken coop than the chickens - he wolfs down veggy treats, chicken pellets and poo all with equal gusto!!

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
How many chickens?

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 11, 2011, 22:12
by hardygeranium

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 28 queries.