Nest building still no eggs!

• 11 Replies

ness

• Experienced Member
« on: January 19, 2008, 21:33 »
Hi
I have been sure by a change in one of my hens behaviour that there are eggs on their way.  For the last week I have been watching her avidly but I'm starting to think there is truth in the saying "a watch chook never lays".  :lol:
Today shes gone one step further and made a nest in the rabbit hutch (sleeping compartment).  She was gone for so long I was sure she was laying but then she got disturbed my one for her offspring and toddled off into the garden.  When I checked there was a definite nest, bless her.
Shes got a nest box in her chicken house but obviously prefers the rabbits accomodation.  
I thought hens just laid where they fancied, I didn't realise there was preparation involved.
Do you think she may lay soon?  Yes I am desperate for a first egg!  :lol:
Thanks
Ness x

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 21:46 »
Definitely sounds like she's ready to lay ness!  But you can't hurry these things.  She'll be okay, esepcially now the days are getting longer.  they do lay anywhere, I've lost count of the eggs I've found in the mud, but most of them do re-arrange the nests to make it more comfy for them!!!!

Patience, it won't be long now!!!!!   :D

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 22:12 »
I would suggest if she is looking for somewhere away from the others its more a case of going broody than just laying an egg and wants to sit.  Silkie Susie made a proper nest to lay in although she has nestboxes to use in the main house where she had always laid her eggs before

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 22:18 »
Mmmmm, forgot about that one slowef!!!!  You could be right!!

Selkie

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 22:19 »
Our two never seem to lay in their nest box, they usually make a nest in the straw inside the house and lay in it; don't give up hope yet Ness!!

Is she showing signs of broodiness apart from making a nest?

I wish I could send you some of ours (I know it isn't the same as your own though) - we're getting about 10 a week now.

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 23:00 »
Thanks for your replies, although I'm not sure whether its totally good news if shes thinking of going broody  :roll:
Am not sure if she's showing other signs of broodiness as I've never experienced a broody hen - yet. She's really active - spending all morning making weird cawing sounds and seemingly searching for an appropriate spot as well as foraging.  Although she made a different niose this morning - she stood in front of the patio doors and squawked "puck puck puck puck PUCKAAAARRGGHH! :lol:   This amused me and the kids but also sounded a bit more of a chook laying sound.
I have high hopes for tomorrow morning!
I'm soooo jealous of your egg production, rosemary, I can only dream of 10 eggs a week.
Ness x

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 00:00 »
I am getting 6 a day but I have 28 female birds, some are to young yet.  If they all lay I am in trouble as I can't get rid of them fast enough I offer them to everyone but not much luck selling them :cry:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 00:04 »
If I don't sell more of these POL's soon, I'll be getting over 200 eggs a day soon!!!!!

I've been let down by my eldest daughter's outlaws, they were going to have 15, but I've got a man coming down from Selby tomorrow for 10, and another man from spalding wants 2, so they are going!!

I even had an enquiry from an 11 year old in Dorset!!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 00:14 »
Are you advertising in your local papers Grannie ?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 00:35 »
Don't talk to me about local papers Auntie!!

We thought we'd leave the Boston one as there are 2 people who are ALWAYS in there with POL's, but there's never any in the Spalding one.  Anyway, I looked online and there are 2.  lincolnshire Free Press and Spalding Guardian.

I couldn't afford both and also, too much money puts more costs on the chooks, so I ticked the Lincolnshire Free for 15th January.  on Wednesday, we bought the paper, couldn't see anything under farming, nothing under agriculture, nor poultry nor under pets.  Darn!

so I phoned them and the woman said oh its in the spalding Guardian thursday 24th, but I didn't want in there for then, so asked if I could speak to someone else, oh no, because it was done online, I have to speak to the web people and she didn't have their number.  so called again and the woman said, its not in spalding next week, its in this week!

On page 76,right at the bottom next to a big purple ad for something else and its under ITEMS FOR SALE!!!!!!

Who the hell looks in items for sale for chickens????  But I'm welcome to put my ad in again anytime, only things have changed and they don't have a poultry section anymore!!!!

But I've got it on Preloved, and its going in the Ad Trader (I tried to get it on the freebies, but they said I've got to pay for that too!) and I'm phoning Smallholder mag Monday.  Also got a sign out the front of the house.  Oh and its on the River Cottage Farmer's Market bit

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 13:09 »
would it be too expensive in Practical Poultry or Smallholders??

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 12:07 »
Three mornings now Mother Hen has been tending her nest in the rabbit hutch.  Last nite and this morning she's taken to staying on the nest for considerable amounts of time - but still no eggs.  She's in there at the moment and not making enough noise to be laying.  She chose to sleep in there last nite, although I had to move her back to the henhouse as my rabbits need to be warm and comfy too.
Is this normal behaviour?  I don't know her age, maybe shes's too old to lay and is just pretending? :roll:  :lol:

xx
going in nest box but no eggs!

Started by chocchicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 09:51
by North Devon Dumpling
xx
eggs in nest box

Started by dannyboy2010 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 17:27
by joyfull
xx
Eggs out of Nest

Started by splash101 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 10:40
by splash101
xx
Keeping nest box for eggs only!

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 10:22
by andreadon

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 36 queries.