where to get various cheap seed potatos in small quantity

• 25 Replies

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
I know pound shop can offer few. am looking for growing sarpo axona. had thy been available in small quantity last year?

JBA doesn't seem to be selling them this year. so not sure I can wait and check with my allotment shop. T&M seems to be selling thm bit cheaper . so looking out If I can wait  and buy for any cheaper and small qty.

Mr Dog

Re: where to get various cheap seed potatos in small quantity
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 13:58 »
Don't remember ever seeing Sarpos in the shops, but John posted a special offer for 3 trial sized packs in November that ends on 31st Jan: http://allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/3844/sarpo-potato-offer/ that may be of interest.

andimac

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 14:29 »
 I checked the link today and they're out of stock.

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 15:21 »
I see similar offer on suttons. but cheapest is available T&M 20 tubers for £5 or so. though they have a collection with others for  around 13£

If they can not be found in shops..rather to spending more money,

might wait for another year if I couldn't find them at allotment shop @32.50 for 2kg of any seed potato with no delivery charges.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 15:31 »
Do you have any potato days or seed swaps near you? Might be worth contacting them to see whether they will stock what you want.

Edit - or, not of!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 16:15 by surbie100 »

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 15:52 »
Surbie has beaten me to suggesting to look to see if they're any potato fairs coming up nearby. I used to have a link to fairs around the country but not sure where it is. I'll post it on here if I find it. You could also ask around to see if anyone wants to share an order?

I usually wait for a free p&p offer before ordering my seed spuds - they often come up October/November time and ordering early helps ensure you get what you want; popular varieties often run out quickly.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 18:31 »
we have seedy sunday in cambridge , but nothing much at my comuting distance . but next year I would be able to drive to any potato day nearest.

will try any sarpo's available in allotment shop or my neighbour plot holder might be able suggest. if he could get any , me too then!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 06:57 »
Some garden centres sell small bags with just a few spuds of various types. You don't have to buy the normal sized bag, and can get a chance to experiment too!

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 11:35 »
You can get Sarpo Axona, Kilfi and Blue Danube in small bags from garden centres, they are in the Taylors brand bags and are around £2.49 for 8-10 potatoes.
Home Bargains are selling small bags for 79p of the common varieties like Desiree.
Wilko have a good selection of loose potatoes at £1.50 for a small bag and £2.50 for large, you could easily put Kestrel, Red Duke of York, Wilja and Anya in the same bag as they are quite distinctive and this would give you a small number of each.
Check your local area for Nurseries rather than garden centres, there are a few near me that sell seed potatoes individually, you will probably find this is the cheapest way. I think last year it was about 10-15p per potato.

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 15:52 »
@ 8-10 potatos for £2.45  t&m is still cheaper @20 potatos with little less than that.

I would definately check the nursery we have nearby. ty.

mrsbean

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 00:29 »
I personally did,nt like sarpo, looked very grey when cooked some stayed hard others went mushy. steamed may be better. may be better now as i tried them when they were first developed.

m1ckz

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 07:12 »
have a look at amazon  they have them  3 25

Snoop

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 10:41 »
Try Bridgend Garden Centre. They have their own website plus an ebay store. According to their ebay store, they will sell you seed potatoes by the number you want, not just by the kilo.  I notice as well on the "got your seed spuds thread" that someone else mentions Dundry Nurseries as selling seed spuds singly.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=122333.0;topicseen

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 12:27 »
I personally did,nt like sarpo, looked very grey when cooked some stayed hard others went mushy. steamed may be better. may be better now as i tried them when they were first developed.

charlotte sown arond july got effected with blight and had to remove foliage by end of september. though I got decent crop and was good in the ground till end of december . I will do it again this year.

charlotte being salad type..looking for another type that store well and any blight resistance is bonus.

I get Lady c one big pack from allotment shop, which I plan to harvest till autumn. with few bouht potatos to try from shops. so I only want one reliable variety for winter storage.

xx
Maincrop potatos while still small

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 14:07
by gregmcalister
xx
quantity's of seed potatoes, how many to buy?

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 11:56
by new_2_veg
xx
ordering seed potatos, where do you recomend?

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 21:23
by Iain@JBA
xx
Got my seed potatos today and most already have a cm or so of stalk growing...

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 16:00
by madcat

Page created in 0.747 seconds with 31 queries.