Young male integration

• 22 Replies

TashaH

Young male integration
« on: December 29, 2015, 14:13 »
Hi,

I have an 8wk male and 2 14wk females, and I was wondering when they could go together. He is the same size as them, a silkie and legbar, he is a light sussex. They see each other daily and chatter to themselves, so when would be and how would I go about it?

Many thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Young male integration
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:24 »
You could have a go at mixing them now Tasha.  Although the male bird is younger, he should have a bit of attitude developing to help him stand up for himself.

If you can, let them mix during the day on neutral territory and keep the first few meetings short.  It is best to have a few distractions on hand.  If they are out in the garden, the excitement of exploring should do it.  If confined, a few leaves of greens to peck or something similar.  The tiny seeds sold in pet shops as budgie tonic mix are good scattered over grass, as they take ages to pick up.  If you can't get these, the wild bird mix sold for finches is similar.  Nothing too precious like mealworms, or a fight could develop.

You should be able to judge pretty quickly how they are getting on and increase the time they spend together accordingly.  A gradual process is best.  There is little to be gained by rushing things  :)

TashaH

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 17:27 »
Well, poor Sir Didi got a severe telling off from Willameena the legbar before I got a chance to get them on neutral territory lol! They both stretched to full height and had a good old peck at each other with Sir retreating rather fast  :lol: I will get some budgie tonic tomorrow and try again. I didn't realise females would chest bump!! :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 17:54 »
 :lol:  The girls can be worse than the boys, especially when young and fearless, with no older hens to put them in their place.

A bit of pecking is to be expected.  If Sir Didi thinks he is the boss and so does Willameena, someone has to give way and they may take a few meet up sessions to sort that one out   ;)

TashaH

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 19:08 »
with no older hens to put them in their place.

I have two 2yr old hybrids, so is it worth trying to mix them all at the same time so I don't have to repeat the process at a later date? They are huge compared to the young ones, but they will all have to go together eventually :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 19:08 by TashaH »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 20:39 »
If you can get the younger ones all mixed first, they can be a little gang of their own when they mix with the big girls.  Sir Didi may well help protect the 2 young females, as the older hens will be keen to dominate them and they could come in for some bullying.

Mixing them all now risks the older girls finding a scape goat and really persecuting them.  If that happens it can be a problem mixing that single bird back into the flock.  The younger ones really have no defence at their current age against mature hens, so although it is a hassle, I would stagger the process if they were mine  :)

TashaH

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 14:33 »
I am actually wondering if sir is a male?? I also do not know the breed as he came as an unknown egg. Can you tell by this picture what he/she isn't?   :tongue2:

Thanks  ;)
image.jpeg

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 16:44 »
Judging by the way the comb is flopping over I'd say some sort of Leghorn cross.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 17:09 »
I'm no expert, but flicking through my chicken encyclopedia, I stopped at the Leghorn page as well.

That is quite a red coloured comb and whattles for an 8 week old bird as well, but I thought the hens had the flopped over combs and the roosters had a comb that stood upright  :unsure: 

Helenaj

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 15:51 »
I'm no expert, but flicking through my chicken encyclopedia, I stopped at the Leghorn page as well.

That is quite a red coloured comb and whattles for an 8 week old bird as well, but I thought the hens had the flopped over combs and the roosters had a comb that stood upright  :unsure:

My leghorn ladies have floppy combs, but looking at the size of the wattle I'm inclined to say that it is a cockerel

TashaH

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 17:48 »

My leghorn ladies have floppy combs, but looking at the size of the wattle I'm inclined to say that it is a cockerel

Well if he is a boy, I still intend to keep him :) He is adorable and so so funny to watch :) Many thanks :)

TashaH

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 18:01 »
Well Didi has spent a few hours a day with Willameena for the last 2 days, I lost the silkie last week, so it is now a one on one. There is still a bit of neck stretching, pecking and staring each other out, but Willameena seems to be the top cat. If I increase the run size, would you say things have settled enough to be together or carry on for a few more days? :)

Thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 08:49 »
It sounds like they are sorting it out for themselves.  Pecking and posturing is normal.  Pinning each other down and going for it, drawing blood and feather pulling are real aggression.

You could put Didi in the house with Willameena one night and see how it goes when they get up the next day.  Increasing the run size is a good idea.  It is also useful to offer areas to jump up on to.  Mine only have logs, but there seems to be some unwritten chicken rule that jumping on a log makes you untouchable.  At least that's how my lot work and if a scuffle breaks out, that's where the loser heads  :)

Snoop

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 12:21 »
We have a Leghorn hen with an absolutely enormous comb that flops over just at the very top. Even experienced hen keepers here can't believe she's a hen and not a cockerel, so much so that they look sceptical when I insist she lays eggs.

TashaH

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 17:13 »
hmmm Willameena has been a little moobag today. as far as removing a few feathers from Didi  :ohmy: She even chased him away from neutral feeding zones and also out of one of the nest boxes that even she does not use yet for laying. I have switched over the "bedroom" areas, so Didi has most of the floor area tonight that she used to have, and she is in Didi's 6x4 penthouse, which is raised. Will this help with the territory issue? Didi is in his element... I also have some stop-peck.. can I use this tomorrow on Sir? :)

Thanks.

xx
Integration

Started by Abacus on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:45
by Jeanette
xx
Integration of new hens

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 21:06
by bantam novice
xx
Premature integration

Started by jhub on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 23:36
by jhub
xx
Struggling with integration.....

Started by chickenmclicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 21:45
by joyfull

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 38 queries.