Premature integration

• 6 Replies

jhub

• jane
Premature integration
« on: July 21, 2012, 15:41 »
Hi everyone,
Since I took delivery of 4x four week old chicks they have been in main run separated from the two older hens by a wire partition. They have their own coop within this run and are now 12 weeks old.
This morning I found them all mixed together via a hole dig under the partition. I've watched them on and off for most of the day and there is a little pecking going on but nothing vicious. I've made some hidey holes under a plastic coffee table and placed extra water and feed stations- interestingly the pullets keep to their own feeders.
Should I leave them together even though the pullets are still young? The LS are now bigger than the two hybrid hens but the legbars are  quite small in comparison and are still pipping as opposed to bokking.
Many thanks.
Jane

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
Re: Premature integration
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 18:17 »
I'd just keep an eye on them if I were you. I often have to do this when letting new hens into the flock, and just sit there in my patio chair with a mug of tea watching them. I'd say the precautions you have taken are good enough.
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 21:05 »
As long as they are able to get away from any bullying they should be fine. 

Mine have freeranged during the day together since they were very young.  They get the odd peck as you described but nothing major.  They all have their own run and coop for on a night but the Welsummer Bantams have taken to sleeping on top of the main chicken coop if I let them.  I think they don't like being in with the Light Sussex Bantams as it is 4 against 2 and 2 of the 4 are boys. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 10:04 »
I put the youngsters in the main coop last night and as it was dark there was no fighting.
This morning the older hens managed to guard four feed stations between the two of them but once they had eaten what they wanted they allowed the youngsters access.
Occasional pecking but nothing nasty.The light Sussex pullets are trying to integrate but the cream legbars are very timid.
They're in a walk in run and this morning I  have added some roosting branches at differing heights to give the youngsters some more escape routes.
So far so good.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:17 »
The fact that you had them right next door to each other will have gone a long way towards their integration. Just provide 2 or 3 feeding and water stations for now. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

SJC

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 14:10 »
I too have just gone through the same thing.  My POL Light Sussex x 2, and Rhode Islands x 2 could not wait to meet there new friends (6 Hybrids).
 Let them free range togather after 3 weeks as I got sick of them escaping.  Both still had seperate coops, feeders, drinkers & shelters - all was well only a few I am boss moments.

Then one night came to shut them in, whislt doing the head count there was 8 in one coop and one in the other.  Promptly took the one on her own and put her in the big coop with all the others.  Everything seems to be fine 2 weeks down the line - at least it saved me the bother of trying to work out the best way / time to do this.  I guess they just new.

:D

jhub

• jane
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 23:36 »
Tonight the youngsters put themselves to bed in the main coop with the two hens. There's the odd peck from  number two hen but I am pleasantly surprised at how well it's gone so far. I think having lots of feed and water stations along with hidey holes has helped the integration.

xx
Integration

Started by Abacus on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:45
by Jeanette
xx
Struggling with integration.....

Started by chickenmclicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 21:45
by joyfull
xx
Integration of new hens

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 21:06
by bantam novice
xx
Integration of bats failed

Started by Alby on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 18:29
by Alby

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 36 queries.