Young male integration

• 22 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Young male integration
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 18:32 »
Hens can be quite uppity with young cockerels.  I think they know the tables will turn and try and get the upper hand while they can.  My two lads Foghorn and Alphie, who arrived as 6 week old chicks, could attest to that  :lol:  They had their own batchelor pad at first, but had to take a fair bit of bossing when they went into meet the big girls.

Swapping territory around is a good idea and if you have Stop-Peck, it can't hurt to use it.   Don't force the issue and don't be afraid to go back to keeping them apart for a few days to cool things down, if you need to  ;)

TashaH

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 19:05 »
Swapping territory around is a good idea and if you have Stop-Peck, it can't hurt to use it.   Don't force the issue and don't be afraid to go back to keeping them apart for a few days to cool things down, if you need to  ;)

I am not going to rush it, as I need them at least civil to each other for when they join the big girls :) Poor Willameena looked disgusted when I closed the penthouse door lol! If looks could kill :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 19:19 »
Nothing like a look from a disgruntled hen to put you firmly back in your place  :lol: 

I have several divas, so I am well used to it  ;)

TashaH

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 23:10 »
The dreadful deed is done :D Didi and Willameena are spending the night together after a whole day of sharing each others territory.. AND feed & water hangers :) No blood has been drawn and no further feathers have left either body :) Lock ups warm pellet mash was eaten from the same dish, so hopefully the union is sealed :) There is still some gob from Willameena, but Didi has mastered the art of obedience :D

Now to prepare for the intro to the raptors :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 16:04 »
Didi has mastered the art of obedience :D

He's not daft that lad  ;)  Get Willameena on your side and she can protect you from the raptors  :lol:

TashaH

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 20:41 »
Would all this change affect Willameenas mood? Since her 2 pen buddies passed, and definitely since introducing her to Didi, I have noticed her tail is down alot this week. She is on the last day of her flubenvet 2nd course, no lice/mites/worms to be seen and she is eating and drinking as normal (greens, melon, tommies, apple etc for treats if she fancies them). Vent is clean, no smell from beak, and no gunk from nose, eyes etc. She is 18wks on Saturday.

Ideas? Thanks :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 08:43 »
It may be just the changes.  Chickens love routine and anything new tends to freak them out a bit.  Although Willameena has been a bossy little madam, she is only trying to secure her place in her new situation and that could have been stressful for her.

If she is eating well and you see no other signs of anything wrong, I'm sure she will be fine in a couple of weeks.  She and Didi will work it out  :)

Sassy

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 10:46 »
As New Shhot says and worming can take a bit out of them as well. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Integration

Started by Abacus on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:45
by Jeanette
xx
Integration of new hens

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 21:06
by bantam novice
xx
Premature integration

Started by jhub on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 23:36
by jhub
xx
Struggling with integration.....

Started by chickenmclicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 21:45
by joyfull

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 38 queries.