Onions from seed - 2016

• 168 Replies

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
Re: Onions from seed - 2016
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2016, 08:01 »
I also read this tip about snipping back the first leaf, giving them a haircut.  I did it to some of my seedlings last year and it certainly didn't do any harm!  I think what I've really got to do is get them out into the greenhouse which I will aim to do next week-end.  The larger Ailsa Craig seedlings seem less floppy.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2016, 11:00 »
I planted kelsae onion seeds a fortnight ago, 20 to each seed tray, and put them on kitchen windowsill. Almost all are through but i'm not sure when to prick out and pot on

It depends how closely they are sown, but when they get to second leaf stage is a good time, so probably a couple of weeks to go yet.  Just make sure they stay cool, but frost free and in good light.

If they have lots of space in their seed trays, you could leave it longer than this, but just feed after 4-6 weeks as the nutrients in the compost will be depleted by then  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2016, 11:33 »
Found the Long Red Florence seeds! Have sown a tray while I hunt for the aubergine seeds. This is going to be an oniony year!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2016, 12:45 »
 :lol: What are you like   :nowink:

Jackypam

« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2016, 17:52 »
Onion seeds certainly benefit from being early.  They get lots more attention than the later seedlings... A bit like the first child really!

surbie100

« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2016, 18:21 »
I've put my Ailsa Craig in the greenhouse. I can't find the cover for the mini greenhouse, but it looks to be warm enough for the next few days to not worry about it. Most of them were already at second leaf stage. My Rijnsburgers are lagging behind, despite being under the grow lamp.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2016, 13:33 »
Of course, I immediately sowed a couple of trays of banana shallots to take their place inside  :D

Banana shallots just showing the first signs of life this morning  :D

Robster

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2016, 07:34 »
Onion sowing today.  I'm off

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2016, 20:09 »
Have today potted on the Shimonita seedlings into (1/2 trays) of 6 rectangular pots measuring 8cm x 6cm x 7cm deep. Some I have just put 4/5 seedlings in and others I have bunched them.  Came apart easily but not as many as expected were at the true 2 leaf stage and not sure if I was careful enough when dibbing the roots into the new compost but we will see!. A lot of faffing in my opinion.  I am leaving the ordinary onions to grow on in their trays as they are deeper, I think I would rather thin them in a week or so and re-sow to get enough for the final planting out, than spend the whole afternoon bent over some 9cm pots! I think I may be moving into the no faff camp with DD. 
Pity it has gone so cold this week-end as I would have liked to get them out into an extra insulated Greenhouse but it is too cold at night and I'm not here to bring them in and out. Another problem I'm encountering because I'm away Monday to Thursday is making sure I don't drown them when I come back.

I have also given them all a haircut today! Photo attached of the Ailsa Craig still in the deep tray.
Ailsa Craig with a haircut.jpg
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 16:03 by mjg000 »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2016, 10:18 »
I usually do salad onions with just a pinch of seed into the centre of a module, but then I start these later when they can germinate in the greenhouse, rather than inside.

My Gobo onions did not take too long to pot on into modules.  I quite like a quiet steady greenhouse task at this time of year  :)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2016, 20:18 »
This has really motivated me to empty one of my greenhouse benches to make room for transplanting mine into pots. Tomorrow the over-wintering fuchsias will be moved into the polytunnel

surbie100

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2016, 20:52 »
I have LRF elbows showing.  :D

Rijnsburgers all now have second leaves and are travelling to the greenhouse tomorrow. Which leaves room under the growlights for the emerging LRFs. (love it when a plan comes together!)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2016, 20:53 »
Well, I now have around 144 small onion plants now transferred singly into 5cm pots in the unheated greenhouse. At what stage do you normally plant them out into the open garden? Late March as with the setts?

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2016, 19:55 »
My onion seedlings are in a propagator at 14C by a large window.  I feel they are a little pampered.  Do I move them into an unheated greenhouse?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2016, 08:23 »
Well, I now have around 144 small onion plants now transferred singly into 5cm pots in the unheated greenhouse. At what stage do you normally plant them out into the open garden? Late March as with the setts?

They need to grow without receiving a set back from bad weather, so I usually hang on as long as possible. 

Looking back at last years thread, it was the end of April/beginning of May that mine went out, but obviously they can graduate to a cold frame, or similar less protected environment than the greenhouse, for a hardening off process before then  :)

xx
Onions from seed?

Started by Cavolo Hero on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 06, 2024, 12:51
by New shoot
xx
red onions (going to seed!

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 21:10
by DD.
xx
Onions from seed

Started by GrowinGrowinGone on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 07:26
by spuriousmonkey
xx
Onions going to seed - what to do?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 06, 2012, 12:32
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.67 seconds with 30 queries.