Onions from seed - 2016

• 168 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Onions from seed - 2016
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2016, 21:48 »
I saw that.  :(

I need to find my fleece and the bits for the mini-grow house to put the other shelf on.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2016, 11:03 »
I've just been out to check mine and added a fleece overcoat to the mini greenhouse inside the main greenhouse.  I've got to go out to work in a bit, so they are getting tucked up early. 

So far so good.  They came through the last lot of frosty nights unscathed, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed  :)

Growster...

« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2016, 06:58 »
Ours have failed miserably!

Going to plant sets pretty soon!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2016, 09:41 »
Waste of time. Mine sown two and a half  months ago in a heated propagator and then transplanted into individual pots in the greenhouse are still no bigger than the leeks I sowed a fortnight ago. Just bought a load of sets to ensure a harvest this summer
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:59 by AlaninCarlisle »

Casey76

« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2016, 09:50 »
Am I too late to start from seed this year?

I tried sets 2 years ago and they all bolted (all of them - over 250!) before they had plumped up even a bit :/

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2016, 10:50 »
Am I too late to start from seed this year?

I tried sets 2 years ago and they all bolted (all of them - over 250!) before they had plumped up even a bit :/

Not too late at all  :)  The seed grown ones do seem to be a lot more resistant to bolting than sets.  The earlier you sow, the bigger the eventual onions, but a decent crop can still be had from sowing now and you may have a longer season anyway where you are.

Waste of time. Mine sown two and a half  months ago in a heated propagator and then transplanted into individual pots in the greenhouse are still no bigger than the leeks I sowed a fortnight ago. Just bought a load of sets to ensure a harvest this summer

Don't write them off so soon.  The seed grown ones are very slow to get going, but they keep going after the sets have finished growing and as said above, are far less likely to bolt.  Mine are only at the 3 leaf stage but it was the same last year and I got a great crop.

March last year

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=117739.msg1394542#msg1394542

By April, they had suddenly got going

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=117739.msg1402603#msg1402603

By the end of the season, I had smug face mode fully engaged

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=117739.msg1432175#msg1432175

I've got some sets as well this year, but I'm sure my seed grown onions will be far bigger on harvest  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2016, 14:24 »
I'm echoing NewShoot - my onions looked feeble for ages, but I ended up with grapefruit sized, juicy strong onions. They just suddenly took off.

My shallots are at 3 leaves, and the resown onions on nearly 2. Next year I will resist sowing till mid-Feb, I just don't have your trick with the fleece down pat yet News!

snow white

« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2016, 19:21 »
I carefully raised some onions from seed took them up the allotment for potting on and hardening up, and dropped the blighters at the gate.  Recovered some of them but I gave up after 40.  :(

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2016, 20:35 »
Having read a couple of the above posts, I'm reprieving half of the onions I sowed in January. I've discarded the weaker ones to create more space on the g/h bench. I'm still doubtful about them as they are just the same size after nearly 3 months as the leeks are after 3 weeks! I'll transfer them to the polytunnel once I pot on my tomato seedlings as that will be the g/h benches totally full

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2016, 20:56 »
Just a thought Alan, but have you fed your onion seedlings?  Mine get a liquid feed several times during their growing on period.  I can't remember what I have this year - I think it may be Growsure one I saw on offer, but any general purpose one will do.

I carefully raised some onions from seed took them up the allotment for potting on and hardening up, and dropped the blighters at the gate.  Recovered some of them but I gave up after 40.  :(

I would have said a few choice words at that one.  Bad luck  :(

Growster...

« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2016, 21:25 »
I don't think I'd have wasted time choosing words here...

There would have been a torrent of disgusting expletives!

Hope the forty survivors get to mammoth proportions Snows - you deserve the result!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2016, 17:06 »
This years seedlings at 3 months old.  They are still in the blowaway inside the cold greenhouse, but only because I haven't had room on the staging for them.   The door of the blowaway is open all the time now.

The seed spuds were all planted today, so space has cleared.  Over the weekend I will have a move round and they can graduate to the staging.  They got a liquid feed today, so with that and the extra light they will get, I'm expecting a bit of a growing spurt  :)

Snoop

« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2016, 18:02 »
I'm a bit late in comparison with all of you, but the seed packet instructions say I'm in good time, so I sowed Megaton leeks and our shallots today.

I'm afraid I cheat and buy in seedlings (not sets) for our big (let's hope) onions, as I grow far too many to be able to grow them from seed. Sorry about cheating in that respect.

Sorry to hear about your accident, Snow White. I'd have been cursing big time.

Beekissed

« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2016, 13:15 »
I direct sowed my onion seeds into the garden a few weeks back, both in my son's garden and into mine.  His are up, even in the heavy frosts we've had since then, and looking jaunty.  His were sown first, so that doesn't surprise me, but I'm expecting to see mine peeking through the soil any day now.  We are supposed to get below freezing again this week and the next, so I'll be interested to see what happens with them with that kind of weather. 

Planted around 600 seeds this year, so hoping I'll get a good return of most of those. 

snow white

« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2016, 16:56 »
Well my dropped ones are surviving ok.  Surprisingly.  :nowink:

xx
onions from seed

Started by littlepete on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 10:54
by BrianK
xx
onions from seed

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 09:35
by JayG
xx
onions from seed

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 22:22
by gobs
xx
onions from seed now

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 06, 2021, 14:53
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 37 queries.