Onions from seed - 2016

• 168 Replies

Salmo

Re: Onions from seed - 2016
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2016, 16:14 »
That is how I grow mine. Usually seed 6 per module which of course do not always grow. Plant as they are in clumps spaced 10inches apart. Usually take out some as scallions to eat in salads to leave 3/4 per clump to grow on as bulbs. I aim to grow smallish onions, which are preferred in our kitchen.

JoshP

« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2016, 21:08 »
Planted my onions out this evening and covered with fleece tunnels. Luckily the soil is light where I am so works down well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2016, 19:15 »
Planted the Bedfordshire Champions out as their roots were wending their way out of the bottom of their modules. They will survive alright, but at this point it always seems unlikely they will make large bulbs somehow ....
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2016, 09:38 »
Planted the Bedfordshire Champions out as their roots were wending their way out of the bottom of their modules. They will survive alright, but at this point it always seems unlikely they will make large bulbs somehow ....

and the Showmasters are now out too.. looking  a bit yellow now I see them next to the others so will give them a few days to settle in and then feed them.

That all the onionss planted out now 😊😊

Beekissed

« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2016, 00:59 »
The sweet onions I sowed directly into the garden in March are coming up here and there...finally.  Little hairs of green.  I hope I get some good showing of the number of seeds sown this year. 

Robster

« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2016, 22:39 »
I planted out my Bedfordshire Champion.  Only 24 plants.  As we are due a frost over the next few days I covered them with a bit of fleece.  Gave them a water and some grow more.  I'm looking forward to what they come out like.

Salmo

« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2016, 09:52 »
My onions have been out 10 days now and looking well under a mesh tunnel. My concern is whether they will bolt with the recent cold nights and the forecast for the next week cold by day and colder by night. Some plants need continuous cold to make them bolt i.e. cold nights and warm days do not. Does anyone know if this applies to onions?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2016, 18:12 »
Mine are out under a mesh tunnel now as well.  They were getting so large I would have had to pot them on otherwise and I just didn't have time for that.  They have hardened off in the cold frame and the recent colder nights haven't phased them, so fingers crossed.

They got a good handful of chicken manure pellets to start them off and this year they are right next to the tap on the corner of the plot, so they stand a chance of being watered through the summer.  Usually they get to fend for themselves, so I'm going to see if it does make a difference  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2016, 18:24 »
The plants put out in the ground a while back (Bedfordshire Champions) are beginning to grow new leaves which are a nice dark green.

The second lot out (Showmaster) are still looking a bit on the yellowish side, so gave them a feed of chicken manure pellets yesterday as a nitrogen boost.

Robster

« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2016, 07:06 »
I removed the fleece from the Bedfordshire Champion which had been outside since the 20th April.  All present and correct had survived the transplanting.  Now ready to enjoy the nice weather.

Growster...

« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2016, 14:57 »
We now have six from a whole packet of seed...

But they're bedded in now, next to the onion sets, so they can all learn from each other...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2016, 17:42 »
My Globo are next to the sets as well.  I took their mesh cover off yesterday and gave them a water.

Yes I do have a lot of onions this year  :blush:  There are even more in a bed opposite and these are white onions grown from seed.  I was so taken with going to the shed over winter and raiding my veg store, I want even more this year  :D

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2016, 16:09 »
29th May
Finally planted out about 80 onions grown from seed sown back in January!  They are quite big and just hope I didn't do too much damage to the tangled roots!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2016, 20:53 »
It happens every year, but it is still a great moment when the onions from seed catch up with the sets and start to edge ahead.  They're off and racing now and as they go on growing for longer, they win out by far in the end  :D

Seed grown ones in the foreground and the sets behind them.

jaydig

« Reply #164 on: June 06, 2016, 13:50 »
I grow my onions from seed, too.  There's a much bigger choice of varieties and they don't seem as liable to bolt as some sets, particularly red onions.  Mine looked like bits of cotton when I planted them, but as you say, they are now looking much better than those grown from sets by other plotholders.  In fact, my neighbours have been converted and they are going to do theirs from seed next year.

xx
Why are my red onions going to seed?

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 15:20
by yummy
xx
onions going to seed

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 00:20
by Teen76
xx
onions from seed

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 21:39
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
Some of my onions gone to seed.

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 17:44
by Jonajo

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 31 queries.