Onions from seed - 2016

• 168 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Onions from seed - 2016
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2016, 08:26 »
My onion seedlings are in a propagator at 14C by a large window.  I feel they are a little pampered.  Do I move them into an unheated greenhouse?

I would move them to a cool bright window indoors for a week or so to get used to being out of the propagator.  Mine have gone through that process and are now in a small plastic greenhouse inside the main unheated greenhouse.

There are some cold nights forecast this week, so I will be chucking some fleece over as well  :)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2016, 09:39 »

They need to grow without receiving a set back from bad weather, so I usually hang on as long as possible. 

Looking back at last years thread, it was the end of April/beginning of May
I'd say early May in Reading equates to late May in N Cumbria, so unless we have a really early and mild spring, they'll stop in a cold-frame or the polytunnel until then

Barlume

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2016, 14:03 »
I have been eagerly reading this thread since last year and eventually started my own onions from seeds on boxing day. Oh the excitement!
They sprouted well and I got a very high germination rate. But.... they don't seem to grow very much anymore...
They are now about 4-5 cm long. Some have two leaves. None of them is growing straight, they are all bent at 45 degrees, like too heavy to go up straight. Is all of this normal 7 weeks after sowing them?
Today I moved them from the windowsill of my spare bedroom to my unheated conservatory, perhaps a cooler temperature will do them some good. Any wisdom to share?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2016, 08:01 »
It is difficult to offer too much advice without a picture.  Once they have germinated, they just need to be frost free, but in good light.  They should be starting to stand up straight, so could be getting too warm and leggy, or just craning for the light.

If they are growing their second leaves, that is about right, but are they in modules or trays and how closely packed are they?  They may need potting on, or if they are in a big tray and in the same compost they were sown in, a bit of liquid feed.  The nutrients in compost only last 6 weeks or so at best  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2016, 10:00 »
Yes, that reminds me ... feed the onions!!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2016, 10:26 »
Hi Barlume

When you state they are leaning at 45degrees, my first thought was that they are cranning for the light. Anything on the window sill (or dependent on a light source not directed overhead) needs to be turned at least twice daily to ensure the don't develop a lean such as you mention.

Uniform light and enough of it, cooler temps, and fortnightly liquid feed for onions at this stage of growth are what i'd be assessing.

In the end we are all learning, so whatever you observe this time around will serve you well when next you sow onions. Knowledge is always a bonus, especially when the plan seems to be off course. And often time is all that is required. Good luck, you'll be fine.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

Barlume

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2016, 19:44 »
Thanks all so much! I didn't think of the direction of the light. Definetely something to fix. Hopefully having moved them to the conservatory should help with that. I will also feed them, another thing I really didn't know.
They have been in the cooler room for a day now and they already seem stronger. Lesson learned!

Dabhand

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2016, 12:34 »
Fingers crossed I might be able to sow a few onions in the conservatory today and put some sets in modules for planting out in the Spring.  I can't get out on my garden plot for various reasons but I can make a start today so am quite excited.  I am growing the usual Red Baron, Stuttgarter, Banana Shallots and this year I am having a go at some new ones also.  Have you all started your seeds and sets off?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2016, 13:41 »
Seeds  yes, but most of the sets are sitting in the light awaiting planting. Eight lucky little ones are in modules of compost as I want to see if this leads to larger or earlier onions at the end of the season.

Salmo

« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2016, 09:56 »
Yes, that reminds me ... feed the onions!!!

What do you feed your onions with.Do you just water it or spray them?

luke34

« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2016, 23:01 »
not but a picture up for a  while here are some my kelsae onions
1.jpg

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2016, 19:06 »
Spent a happy hour or so pricking out the LRF seedlings. Most of them have 2 leaves, some are starting their third. So it's out from the growlights and out into the greenhouse tomorrow for them.

My other onions don't look massively happy, I might have sown those too early. *trots off to play in the seed boxes*

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2016, 14:39 »
I am letting my onions get a bit of fresh air this week, as the weather is so mild. So far they look OK......

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2016, 17:25 »
I've checked on my first lot of onions. Am junking the Ailsa Craig and starting again. The Rijnsburger look ok, if jaundiced from being forgotten in the shed.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2016, 19:24 »
I am letting my onions get a bit of fresh air this week, as the weather is so mild. So far they look OK......

... and now sub zero temps are forecast again {{{ sigh}}}

xx
red onions (going to seed!

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 21:10
by DD.
xx
onions from seed

Started by littlepete on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 10:54
by BrianK
xx
onions from seed

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 18:33
by DD.
xx
Why are my red onions going to seed?

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 15:20
by yummy

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 37 queries.