Lentil issue/problem.

• 5 Replies

miggs

Lentil issue/problem.
« on: September 13, 2015, 14:03 »
Simple question really. What's the difference between Lentils and "split Lentils. I have a recipe that says split Lentils but I only have Lentils. Will it make a difference?
Thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Lentil issue/problem.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 15:03 »
Split lentils are the red ones and have hulled and split in half, whereas whole lentils are the greenish coloured ones that are still in one piece and have the skins still on.

Red ones cook down to a mush quite quickly.  Whole ones take about twice as long and keep their shape.  Tastewise they are similar, but the whole ones are a bit more nutty flavoured.

Depending on the recipe, you could sub them.  If you needed the split lentils to cook to a mush to use as a binder (like a lentil and veg bake or for a vegeburger), it would not quite be the same consistency, but it should still taste OK  :)

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 21:27 »
Split red lentils are the orange/red ones that will cook to a mush in about 30 mins. Split yellow are larger but will still cook to a mush. Whole brown or green lentils will take about 45 mins and keep a little of their texture. Whole "Puy" dark green lentils will keep their texture well, even up to 1h cooking.

If you want to use the Puy lentils, you can also add some split reds to act as a thickener.

Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 13:41 »
If you're doing a mince dish like spag bol or lasagne, you can substitute half the mince for red lentils apparently.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 13:55 »
you can substitute half the mince for red lentils apparently.

Not just apparently - you really can do it, and it's much healthier if you do. Even my grandchildren (2 fussy wotsits!) don't notice it when I do. Same thing in  Shepherd's/cottage pie as well ;)

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 11:35 »
you can substitute half the mince for red lentils apparently.

Not just apparently - you really can do it, and it's much healthier if you do. Even my grandchildren (2 fussy wotsits!) don't notice it when I do. Same thing in  Shepherd's/cottage pie as well ;)

Agreed. I made a vegetarian moussaka with brown lentils the other day for friends. One of them was convinced it was mince and could barely credit it when I said it was lentils, despite the fact that she knew full well that another person there was a vegetarian.

xx
Red-lentil and pumpkin dahl recipe

Started by madcat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post January 13, 2015, 17:28
by Annen
xx
Can anyone help with a blackberry jam issue?

Started by Cazzy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post October 30, 2008, 14:23
by Poolfield2
xx
Redcurrant jelly issue

Started by RJR_38 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 06, 2015, 22:09
by RJR_38
xx
Ongoing chutney / bottling issue.

Started by evie P on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post December 29, 2009, 14:06
by evie P

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 28 queries.