spuds

• 11 Replies

crowndale

spuds
« on: August 29, 2015, 18:38 »
I've grown three varieties this year in bags and in a raised bed but every last one has disintergrated in the pot.  tried roasting instead and they were really floury.  cant remember the varity names but I have grown them before on an allotment and they've been fine.  so am wondering if its becoz I planted them late or maybe becoz they were so well looked after and watered regularly?  the allotment ones were thrown in and left and thrived!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

JoshP

Re: spuds
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 20:50 »
What soil did you use, was it bagged compost? Would help to know what the variety was as well.

hiccup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 07:57 »
               Good Morning All
                 My brother-law, who garden's in dorset, has had a similar problem. His variety are International
                    Kidney, and will disintergrate if not boiled with the greatest of care. He grew the same
                    variety last year with no problem's at all.
keep on digging

crowndale

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:21 »
cant remember the varity names joshp, but half were grown in topsoil with bagged (b&q) manure in rasied beds and half were grown in compost in bags.  they all disintegrate.

Bob after

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:39 »
Have had the same problem this year, not sure why?

It is a new plot for me this year so putting it down to poor soil?

Hopefully next year  will be better!!

brianc

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 11:42 »
Hi all
       I have the same problem sort of? my potatoes when boiled i find one or two out of the pot fall apart but the
       others are alright. The variety are arren pilot it happens every time i try to use the same size potatoes per pot.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 11:49 »
I find that home grown new spuds in particular tend to fall apart during cooking when first harvested, but if allowed to sit in a dark cupboard for a week or more (fat chance TBH) they seem to lose this tendancy.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

crowndale

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 12:46 »
useful to know nikkithefoot, they've been sat in a cupboard for a while now!  could try them roasted at tea time and see what happens!
the spuds were never dry during their growing babbyanne.  maybe they like a little nglect?  who knows!  but will try te ones in the cupboard tonight and see if they are any better.
and as a matter of observation and amusement (for me anyway) I have a chicken called hiccough, hiccup!  not sure if the hiccup above is so named becoz they are diminutive r not, but mine is!  ::)

Marston

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 13:32 »
I have found that if I start the cooking with boiling water and not cold, and then keep an eye on them , they are much better. :)

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 19:03 »
This is probably no help at all......but im fast becoming convinced that my efforts to molly coddle/provide the optimum growing conditions for my crops has absolutely no effect on the outcome of their productiveness whatsoever!
My fennel that i grow for my plot neighbour, as i dont like it, has flourished every year that ive grown it, when it is just sown and left to its own devices, no watering/weeding whatsoever. He loves it and despite nurturing it at every stage, he always fails, we are but 20yds apart.
Potatoes are known not to like frosts, but howcome there are always plants growing in the spring where you had spuds last year, surely they endured the frosts/snow/biting winds through the winter?
Nature is the boss for sure.
I only grow Lady Christl and Charlotte due to space, but i do find that a few weeks in the garage in trays makes them firmer, salad spuds i know, but the difference in texture is noticeable.
My mother in law commented that the bag i gave her of Lady X disintegrated on boiling, but they were straight out of the ground, mine were fine out of the garage, so maybe theres something in it.
I said she'd overcooked them........but shes not one to take hints on cooking from a whipper snapper, as she regularly puts on a splendid Christmas dinner for upto 19 people regularly :wacko:
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

crowndale

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 22:08 »
so gentle neglect and leaving in te garage seems to be the key!  the ones sat in the cupboard and cooked today were still floury.  haven't tried boiling again yet though.  next eyar i'll neglect them and see what happens!

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 21:07 »
You might find they hold together better if steamed rather than boiled. Either that or mash them and, if they're really sloppy/loose, call it puréed pommes de terre in the French style! (Which I love with sausages, I have to admit.)

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
xx
After spuds....?

Started by Chrysalis on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 00:28
by allot2learn
xx
Spuds

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 20:59
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.624 seconds with 28 queries.