Wasps on runner beans

• 11 Replies

meloncauli

Wasps on runner beans
« on: August 29, 2015, 23:17 »
Hi does anyone else have wasps damaging their beans?  We have grown White Lady, Best of All and Cobra (climbing french).  All of them are suffering from sleepy wasps sitting on them and scraping the surface.  Some beans have three wasps on them at a time and as well as the damage, it is quite scary picking the beans in case you get stung!  When you knock the wasps off, there is a small darker green area where they were and that turns brown.  It doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else, maybe our beans are particularly sweet! Can't find any mention of it on internet search so any comments appreciated!

Snoop

Re: Wasps on runner beans
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 23:47 »
That's interesting. I have wasps that are using our sweetcorn as a B&B by tucking themselves as far they can into the 'tubes' formed by the leaves. During the day, they come out and scout out the rest of the veg patch but in particular the brassicas for insects to haul away. Despite the number of cabbage whites flying around, I've only seen three clutches of eggs this year and one caterpillar thanks to the wasps.

Might they actually be removing pests from your beans, and it's the pests that have caused the damage, not the wasps?

It doesn't sound like that's the case from your description, but it's the only thing I can think of.

I should also add the wasps we have in our sweetcorn are nothing like as aggressive as wasps that make nests. We love sweetcorn, but even if we didn't I'd grow it just for the wasps.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 09:34 »
I haven't seen many wasps around at all this year, now you mention it. Odd!
Anne

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 10:15 »
Never heard of wasps having a go at runner beans , they normally feed the wasp grubs on insects , slugs etc and feed on what the grubs excrete.
Could they be taking slugs from the beans?
A hard shower of rain will slow them down and make them take shelter where they can.

Wasps are capable of rasping wood off fence panels to use in nest building ..........

are your beans really THAT woody ?            :lol:

oldgrunge

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 20:31 »
Funnily enough, the other day I noticed some wasps on my Painted Lady runner beans. Will look more closely what they're up to.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 06:35 »
I noticed wasps on my runners last year, and those brown patches which i thought were from stings too.  ???

This year they are all over my plum tree and making those inedible.

lettice

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 07:56 »
Not seen many wasps at all this year. Next door neighbour gets quite a few hovering around their fish pond. But not seen them this year.

Monty Don had a massive wasp attack on his grapes inside his greenhouse.
Made me laugh, along with his bad tomato year and splitting fruit, Not here, my tomatoes have been excellent this year in and out. He really is a poor vegetable/fruit gardener.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:58 by lettice »

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 08:31 »
I think it on Beechgrove that they used wasps to control whitefly. I have seen a few on my beans so maybe thats what they are doing.
A few years ago i did notice loads of hover-flies on the beans and i ended up with a bumper crop.
This year i have had loads of bees and getting lots of beans.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 11:28 »
I think it on Beechgrove that they used wasps to control whitefly. I have seen a few on my beans so maybe thats what they are doing.
A few years ago i did notice loads of hover-flies on the beans and i ended up with a bumper crop.
This year i have had loads of bees and getting lots of beans.

They are a special kind of parasitic wasp not your common ones.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 12:07 »
I haven't noticed them on my beens but I certainly have a lot about and they are doing some strange things. Like coming indoors and what looks like pollinating only a few varieties of chillies  ???

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 13:00 »
Wasps are not good pollinators. They are not built for it. Bees are hairy and pollen sticks to them. Wasps are smooth, so it doesn't.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Headgardener22

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 15:27 »
My understanding is that wasps feed their grubs with insects (greenfly etc.) during the summer but in early autumn (i.e. starting about now) the queen stops laying and the grubs stop growing so the wasps have no food and have to find sugar to live on. Hence them attacking strawberry jam. Could it be the same, are they feeding on the beans?

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans / kiddney beans

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 36 queries.