Lasagne beds - looking for advice

• 6 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Lasagne beds - looking for advice
« on: August 11, 2015, 18:51 »
I am looking to improve my soil after the summer crops are done - my soil is hungry and I garden organically. I have googled the subject but peat moss is mentioned as an ingredient and I want to provide everything from my own house and garden. Is it necessary to use straw/peat moss? And any other tips or comments from those who use this system would be really helpful.

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
Re: Lasagne beds - looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 20:55 »
Hi I made some lasagna beds last autumn. They have worked well have excellent crop of squashes on them now. I started with cardboard, bike boxes from Halfords, well watered, then grass clippings,beg from neighbours if you don't have enough. Then brown layer, general garden prunings and some manure if you can get hold of it, then more grass clippings. Just keep layering. I did three layers but I will probably have to add more this year as it has rotted down. I covered it with black permeable membrane over the winter and have grown the squashes through that this year.
Hope this helps
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 22:53 »
Beware of grass cuttings from neighbours if they have used weed killer. They will tell you that they have not used it having forgotten that they did use it a few weeks ago.

ptarmigan

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 07:52 »
V similar to the advice above. When I started out and didn't have any compost, I ordered some spent mushroom compost, used free manure and bark chippings from site and grass clippings, newspaper and cardboard.  It worked...

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 08:19 »
Sow some green manure as soon as the beds are empty.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 11:39 »
I have just started a lasagne bed on the old strawberry bed which needs filling up. (pic in my diary) So far I have a layer of cardboard, layer of pea and bean foliage, annual weeds and kitchen waste. When I get enough I will cover with cardboard or newspaper and compost if I have any, or council soil improver if I can get it. Then I am just going to leave it for the winter. I might cover it with weed fabric sheeting and plant through in the spring.
This is the third bed I have done like this and it is a good way of filling them up.
I'm not sure how organic cardboard and newspaper is though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:40 by Annen »
Anne

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 16:37 »
Thanks for your helpful advice - Annen that's a good point, I have looked up some info about that and the general consensus seems to be unbleached unprinted cardboard is fine, newpapers not bad (the inks are veg based now but the paper is bleached), and don't use magazines or printed card because the coloured inks are toxic. So I will follow these rules and hope for better yield next year.

xx
'Lasagne' beds

Started by Snowy Howells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 21:35
by sclarke624
xx
New asparagus bed/lasagne bed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 01:28
by Trillium
xx
Photos of Lasagne gardening

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 05:38
by Growster...
xx
Lasagne gardening - not impressed

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 06:43
by Kirpi

Page created in 0.649 seconds with 29 queries.