Wasp nest in shed

• 25 Replies

jaydig

Re: Wasp nest in shed
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 14:30 »
I think the one that I had in my shed must have been a solitary wasp, because the nest never got any bigger, and I never saw more than one was, so I must have been lucky!

snow white

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 16:18 »
I had a nest and I just used a trap to catch all the wasps.  I caught loads and eventually there were no more to catch.  I used a squash bottle with the top cut off and inverted back into the bottle.  I filled with honeyed water and it lures them in and they cant escape.

8doubles

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 16:48 »
Alcohol inspired brainwave, big block of wood and squish the lot ! The nest is only paper !

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 17:41 »
3 years ago I had a wasps nest at the top of the garden, right above 3 tomato plants, I had to do all the usual jobs like watering, sucker removal and harvesting the crop and was not stung once, I also had the pleasure of watching them harvest some cabbage white caterpillars on my kohl rabi, they were like miniature helicopter gun ships going through all the layers of leaves to select their pray, great for the garden, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

8doubles

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 17:51 »
3 years ago I had a wasps nest at the top of the garden, right above 3 tomato plants, I had to do all the usual jobs like watering, sucker removal and harvesting the crop and was not stung once, I also had the pleasure of watching them harvest some cabbage white caterpillars on my kohl rabi, they were like miniature helicopter gun ships going through all the layers of leaves to select their pray, great for the garden, Dave

Agreed but not at head level in a shed !

Waspies certainly keep the cabbage white no's down ! :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 17:52 »
I had one in my shed a few years ago just inside the door, stuck to underside of the roof. It was about the size of a golf ball. I got a piece of 2x2 wood and flattened it, then ran just in case. I went back shortly after and saw no wasps around so I went and did some gardening. Half an hour later I had forgotten all about it and went into my shed. A large very noisy wasp followed me in and flew around sounding very angry. It must have been looking for its nest and gave me such a fright.

madcat

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 08:48 »
 :D  Yeh, the queen was pretty cross when I had to deal with ours ....  But then, she had invested a lot of effort in it to get it so far and was going to have to start again she knew not where, reducing her chances of getting a successful colony away. I cant blame her for making her feelings known!  I just didn't want to be around to hear, and I guess you didnt either!  :ohmy: Call me a coward if you like, but cross matriarchs are scary, whatever the species!!   ::)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

8doubles

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 10:44 »
:D  Yeh, the queen was pretty cross when I had to deal with ours ....  But then, she had invested a lot of effort in it to get it so far and was going to have to start again she knew not where, reducing her chances of getting a successful colony away. I cant blame her for making her feelings known!  I just didn't want to be around to hear, and I guess you didnt either!  :ohmy: Call me a coward if you like, but cross matriarchs are scary, whatever the species!!   ::)

Hence the need for a safe shed !  :lol:

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 14:59 »
  Call me a coward if you like, but cross matriarchs are scary, whatever the species!!   ::)

Very true!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 19:43 »
There's a golf ball sized wasp nest on my shed roof on the inside. I'd leave it but it would be difficult to work round.  So I was thinking of going up early, putting a jar over it, using a saw to slide under where it joins to the roof and then holding saw over top while disposing of it somewhere... 

Mad idea or will it work?

It works. I did this last year (no need to saw it off it just broke away) and laid it on the ground at the end of the track  that runs past out plot. I have  a small "fake" nest shaped thing in the shed now to deter any further nest building attempts, which appears to have worked. Good luck!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ptarmigan

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 07:08 »
I chickened out and sprayed the shed with Raid, God knows what else I've killed in there.  I feel bad as wasps are useful predators and I don't like killing things.  But...she was always there buzzing around which was making it difficult to just get the nest.

xx
wasp nest

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 10:44
by harry
xx
Wasp nest as a deterrent

Started by Stringbags on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2016, 09:38
by Mr Dog
xx
Bees nest in my shed

Started by colleensj on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 06:58
by colleensj
clip
Bee/Wasp advice

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 19:48
by BobE

Page created in 0.544 seconds with 28 queries.