Help - Inspection in 2 week

• 10 Replies

Arcky

Help - Inspection in 2 week
« on: May 25, 2015, 23:56 »
Can anyone help? My plot was an overgrown patch complete with brambles and nettles when I acquired it. I have managed to get rid of most of them and put sheets of heavy duty membrane down. I have a compost heap and a few small fruit trees and I have started building and adding some raised beds.
I have planted herbs in one of them. Now I have been told that the allotment is to be inspected in two weeks time and I am panicking because its nearly the end of May and I'm not growing enough.
Has anyone got any ideas of what I can do/plant to make my plot look cultivated before the inspection? Rows of runner beans is what I was thinking of but I urgently need some other ideas as I don't want to be in trouble.   :(   Thanks.

edit to clarify title
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:26 by mumofstig »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 06:23 »
When did you get your plot?  Just thinking that if they know it was an overgrown mess and you have only had it a few months, they won't expect full cultivation just yet.

If you think that's not going to cut any ice, how about cutting a few holes in the membrane and planting some courgettes, pumpkins or squash through them.  You could grab a few plants at a garden centre for a really quick fix.

On the raised beds you have built, a runner bean frame would be good and the beans germinate very quickly.  You could also nip to Lidl and buy a tray or 2 of their living salad.  Quite a few forum members have done this, separated out and planted the lettuces and got a great crop.  They are only 99p a tray  :)

cadalot

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 07:00 »
Out of the 6-7 definitions of Cultivated the ones that apply to your allotment are

1a.  To improve and prepare (land), as by plowing or fertilizing, for raising crops; till.

1b.  To loosen or dig soil around (growing plants).

2.  To grow or tend (a plant or crop).

You are working on the infrastructure, which when laying paths etc. is a long term objective and is better than re digging the whole weed infested mess each year. To keep the council happy do as New Shoot suggests, and do a few quick fixes, its good to plant up beds as you create them. Hoops and debris netting is another one that gives the appearance that something is growing or about to be planted under the cover. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:11 by cadalot »

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:03 »
As the other 2  posts say also have you taken pictures, print them out & have ready. Will you know when the inspection is? Can you be there with your photos?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Arcky

Re: Help - Inspection in 2 week
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 08:20 »
Thank you so much for the good ideas and to Cadalot for explaining the definition. I'll get myself down to Lidl and the garden centre!

I will hopefully know when the inspection date will be beforehand (I don't think it is fixed yet) but not sure if I can actually be there until I know.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:20 »
Arky, if you could add your locality to your profile, we would know whereabouts in the country you are, which'll help with advice.

For example, round here it is just about Ok for sweetcorn to be planted out, and a strip of plants is not too expensive. Planted in a four by four block they will make the place look "occupied" alright!

Good luck with the inspection. It sound slike you will be well on the way within the next couple of weeks  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 10:04 »
What were you going to plant anyway? I would carry on as you are with perhaps a little extra tidying and planting. The worst the inspectors can do is to give you a warning. My guess is that they will be relieved that their new tenant is pulling a neglected plot into shape.

Keep two things in mind. The inspectors are not there to catch you out. They are not idiots and have seen it all before.

No need for plants or seeds. Put some bean poles up. Stick a few plant labels each end of rows.

Uzzy

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 10:15 »
As has been previously mention cultivated basically means worked NOT having things growing. I had my plot inspected earlier this year and was expecting a letter as half looked like an uncultivated heap but if you have cleared it etc I think you should be OK. My comnment is that when I retire or someone invents a time machine my plot will look perfect but until then it will always need something doing to it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 10:16 »
You've not told us how long you've had the plot, Arcky !

If you've only had it since spring you're doing quite well but if you had last summer too it might be seen that you've not done enough.

Ema

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 12:59 »
I wouldn't worry at all, if the grounds covered and you havnt got weed seeds spreading everywhere this will keep them happy.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 13:31 »
In general, I think the inspection ( usually done by committee members I think) is just to make sure that plots are being worked. Ours send out letters giving plot holders a warning if it looks neglected, or if it has too many flowers/trees rather than vegetables, or too much grass and not enough beds. They generally give people a catch up period when they send letters out too, so don't worry unnecessarily as it will probably be obvious that you are working on your plot and not just leaving it unattended.

xx
site inspection

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 09:02
by BobandJack
xx
I'm new here (failed inspection!!! passed second one but still.... HELP...)

Started by foxknocker on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 10:21
by foxknocker
xx
Today's the day for carrot inspection...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 14:44
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Picture updates, this week and last week

Started by Heather_S on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2006, 14:12
by John

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 28 queries.