No Parsnips! grrrr

• 35 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
No Parsnips! grrrr
« on: May 13, 2015, 16:23 »
I  know I bought my parsnip seeds last year, but it says on the little bag that they were packed in May 2014, and to sow by December 2015.  I bught them late as you can see!

I know parsnips are only viable for 1 year, but even when I've bought them earlier, I usually get a reasonable germination, but I've just been down there carefully hand weeding at great expense to my back and legs, and not one parsnip!  Could be the ground, but its in the polytunnel frame (no polythene on it!) and it was manured with turkey poo 2 years ago, but the poo was a year old, so that should have been okay shouldn't it? 

Mind you, I sowed carrots before I went to Kent last month, and they are only just breaking the surface, and even 5 year old beetroot seeds have a 50% germination rate!

Brian said get some more parsnip seed, but I'm not going to get much out of them this late am I?

ghost61

Re: No Parsnips! grrrr
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 16:29 »
I think you will.  I rarely set seed until May as I find they don't germinate earlier ( I sow parsnips in situ as they grow into rude shapes if transplanted ).  Mind you I'm not growing them this year as I have a freezer full from last year.  So this year beetroot is making a comeback (for the same reason....).

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 16:43 »
Thanks Ghost, maybe I'll try a packet then.  I don't have any left in the freezers, and will miss my spicy parsnip soup this winter if I don't get any!!!!    ;) ;)

I always sow parsnips, beetroot and carrot insitu too for the reason you mentioned.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 16:57 »
It is not too late GrannieAnnie and if you keep them  moist they should come up fairly quickly in the warmer soil. Mine were very erratic and I am going to sow to fill in gaps this week.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 17:15 »
I only sowed mine today, although that is about a week later than usual (they're not the ideal type of seed to be sowing when there's half a gale blowing!)

I used to sow them in March and waited nervously and seeminly forever for germination, always wondering whether 'now' was the time to start again.

The fact that they take an average of 57 days to germinate at a soil temperature of 5C, but only 19 days at a soil temperature of 15C probably has a lot to do with it.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Headgardener22

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 17:38 »
Its not too late to sow them.

You could chit them, but you have to make sure they get in the ground quickly after they show a little root.

As regards germination rates, I sowed 3 year old seed last year and got reasonable germination, about 40%.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 18:53 »
So far this year I have had 3 sowings and nothing to show so far, yesterday I started chitting parsnip and kohl rabi on the window sill, fingers crossed, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Yana

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 18:59 »
I buy fresh seed every year and the germination rate is always unpredictable. I've got gaps so will sow again as seems like it isn't too late.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 19:03 »
Definitely not too late...I usually get mine in beginning of May but have done it later and still get a reasonable crop. I sowed Gladiator and Tender & True late last year and got a crop off both but the Gladiator were definitely bulkier.

I sowed mine just over 2 weeks ago and they're all starting to germinate now.

Yana

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 19:11 »
Definitely not too late...I usually get mine in beginning of May but have done it later and still get a reasonable crop. I sowed Gladiator and Tender & True late last year and got a crop off both but the Gladiator were definitely bulkier.

I sowed mine just over 2 weeks ago and they're all starting to germinate now.
On the 'to do' list for Friday  :D

sarajane

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 19:12 »
I did mine in Ritchies pots. 100% germination within 2 weeks. Mind you, as soon as you see a hint of greenery at the top, you must plant out as there will be at least 1 inch of root below.
I,'ve done this for the last 2 years as I became fed up with them just not germinating in the soil

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 19:34 »
I am growing mine in black bins this years and the first few are just poking their heads up. Have another go.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 19:49 »
Awww, thanks everyone.  I'll have a go!  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 20:50 »
I've got some ill send you Grannie, opened this year,been in the fridge since I bought them. I'd bought a huge packet from Moles seeds at a show, I could have done my whole plot with them :lol: pm me your address if you want some.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 20:54 »
I need to have another go too GA, mine were sown 3 weeks ago. The radishes alongside are up and happy, but not a peep from the parsnips.

xx
Cat poo - GRRRR!!!

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 14, 2019, 09:41
by Jax64
xx
GRRRR I got to have a rant :(

Started by Swee'pea on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 21:26
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Grrrr BLIGHT.

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 21:58
by NASH
xx
more sweetcorn problems! grrrr

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 11:10
by andyf75

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 31 queries.