Growing Herbs.

• 10 Replies

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
Growing Herbs.
« on: May 06, 2015, 14:12 »
Is it better to grow from seed or buy new plants every year ?
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Sparkyrog

Re: Growing Herbs.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 14:26 »
Basil,parsley,coriander I grow from seed . French tarragon I buy plants .
I cook therefore I grow

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 14:49 »
Most of the perennial herbs are quite easy to propagate from cuttings when they get too straggly and/or woody - this would include sage, thyme, and rosemary.

The annuals/biennials that Sparkyrog has mentioned can be grown from seed or you can buy plants if you prefer (I've done quite well transplanting the pot-grown parsley sold in supermarkets - plenty of plants there!)

French tarragon is almost always propagated by division of existing plants, although it is a perennial given good growing conditions and not too severe winters.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Sparkyrog

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 15:52 »
never thought of division on the tarragon and 2 plants have survived this winter ,so may give it a go. Thanks JayG  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 16:18 »
Most of the herbs I grow are perennials like French (not Russian) tarragon, mint, sage, marjoram, thyme and rosemary. I grow parsley from seed but you can grow coriander as well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 16:55 »
I've always found coriander a pain to grow, mostly because it doesn't like being transplanted so growing in modules doesn't work that well, but sowing directly tends to get them munched by slugs before you can say "slug pellets"!

Basil, thai basil and parsley I grow from seed each year. Woody type herbs I buy as plants and in they go.

LotuSeed

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 17:35 »
I buy mine, especially lavender and rosemary. Cilantro hasn't popped it's head through the soil yet but I'm afraid when it finally does it'll be too hot and it will bolt. Basil is easy to grow from seed, and while I've down some this year (and parsley too) I'll probably end up buying plants. I think it depends on whether or not you have the space to start them and how easy the herb is to grow from seed. My lavender made it through the winter, although it looks a bit scraggily, I might try to root some cuttings of it. Mint and lemon balm died back during the winter but are now growing in full swing.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 19:46 »
I've got a parsley plant in a huge pot on the plot - it will be the third year that I've been able to harvest from it. It gets woody at the end of the summer - I cut it right back to maybe an inch high thinking 'that's that then' and so far its come back each spring. Can't get one to do the same at home...  :(

Pip pip,
Balders

Sparkyrog

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 21:10 »
Put in a Borage root last year it came up it died ,it came up it died ! this year completely unexpectedly it has come up and is growing like a weed  :D

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 15:31 »
Thanks all for your ideas and information.

lettice

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 11:23 »
I've got a parsley plant in a huge pot on the plot - it will be the third year that I've been able to harvest from it. It gets woody at the end of the summer - I cut it right back to maybe an inch high thinking 'that's that then' and so far its come back each spring. Can't get one to do the same at home...  :(

Wow three years, I only get a two year cycle of my parsley, it just twindles away after that. I cut mine down like that too.
Started a new load off early this spring for the next two year period. I grow mine in 11" pots, sow and start the plants off in the greenhouse.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:24 by lettice »

xx
Growing and looking after herbs - please help

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 13:25
by Annie
xx
Growing herbs

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 16:58
by compostqueen
xx
Herbs and growing them indoors.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 02:34
by sclarke624
xx
Growing herbs from cuttings?

Started by potatopotato on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 23:14
by annie b

Page created in 0.903 seconds with 38 queries.