Growing herbs from cuttings?

• 14 Replies

potatopotato

« on: May 25, 2008, 12:46 »
Hi everyone, I know this might seem like a silly topic but I never have much luck growing herbs so I thought I'd ask advice...

I want to get a little herb patch going in front of my g/h on the plot. I've never had any luck growing herbs from seed before (they all seem to die before they're 3 inches tall! What's that all about?) so I was wondering about growing from cuttings.

This is something I've never done before so I'd appreciate advice. How big a cutting do I need from plants like Lavender, Mint, Rosemary, Oregano, Lemon Balm, etc? And when I've got the cutting, what do I do - stick it straight in the earth outside or do I baby it in the g/h for a bit? And when's a good time of year to take cuttings / plant out etc?

Thanks very much everyone!
So everybody's entitled to opinions, I open up my mouth, and s***, I've got millions! - Lady Sovereign

woodburner

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 12:56 »
When I was little I was given a bit of lavender bus, just a random bit really, I took it home stuck it in the ground and watered it regularly til it took and started growing. Then, some years later I found out that lavender is hard to propagate from cuttings, thought "pah, I managed it as a kid, it can't be that hard" and did the same thing again with half a dozen bits. Not one of them grew  :evil:

About 3" carefully strip the leaves of the bottom inch, dip the base in rooting hormone stuff, poke into a pot with a mix of sand or perlite and potting compost, water and stick it in a heated propagator. That's the basic general method anyway.  
Not for lemon balm though, just pull up a bit with some roots, and replant it. Why you want this stuff is beyond me though  :tongue2:  :wink: it's been a pernicious weed wherever I've seen it.

Same for mint as lemon balm (except for the weed bit, although you do need to stop it spreading by it's roots).
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 13:06 »
I never have any trouble with lavender.  I just cuts bits off, stick the ends in rooting powder and shove em n a pot!  when they've rooted, plant them out.  I took 2 dozen down to daughter in Kent, but the first lot died, and only one of the second lot, but she's got 11 nice little plants out the front now.  Then I put 12 down the end of the driveway and only one died.

Yesterday I decided to tidy up the thyme I had in a trough outside, so cut it into 3 bits and put them into new pots.  I'm keeping one and giving the other 2 to friends.

Rosemary I found more difficult, but last year I took about 12 cuttings and they all grew.  gave 10 away and will plant one and send the other one to my cousin in Kent.

So give it a go PP, dip the ends in rooting powder (I'm no professional where it comes to taking cuttings!) and either plant in the ground or in a pot in the greenhouse.  they either grow or don't.  that's my philosophy!

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 13:23 »
ooh...how can you call lemon balm and mint weeds?!

I love them both and can never have enough. I use lemon balm lots....in a vase of flowers.....good colour and jsut pinch a tip to release that gorgeous smell. Then I put fairly large bits in a casserole dish, and bake fish on top of it   ...delish,.....and if you're feeling stressed or sometimes have a bit of indigestion...well then you put some flowers in a mug, pour boiling water over...adn when it's cool enough to drink, strain the leaves.

It's so versatile. Same with mint ...I have bits of it growing everywhere.In the summer, I cut big pieces hang them by the door....helps to prevent flies coming in the kitchen......also use in flower displays.....

And as for culinary use...I love chopped mint in a salad, in an ice cold glass of pimms, and every autumn I make lots of mint jelly.

Weeds?Not blooming likely! :D
Thinking of the Days

gobs

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 20:21 »
They have their uses, but they do grow like weeds, which I think woodburner meant and he is right, hence they are commonly grown in a container or similar confinement not to overtake the garden.

If you have access to cuttings you should be able to get a division of the mint and lemon grass all the same.

Both lavender and Rosemary will root readily, take non-flowering heeled soft wood cuttings and keep them moist and be patient.

Oregano, I'd say sow outdoors now and shall not take responsibility for it self-seeding for next season all over the shop. :wink:

Most herbs grow like weeds, really. :tongue2:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 20:34 »
Quote from: "annie b"

No, I was talking about propagation and said it's the same for mint, except for the weed bit. Mint is good it can be controlled, unlike lemon balm that turns up everywhere within twenty yards of the original plant. It gets a bit tiring pulling it all up, well, can't find it [/i]all, some always escapes to seed another forest. :roll:  :lol:

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 20:36 »
Quote from: "gobs"
They have their uses, but they do grow like weeds, which I think woodburner meant and he is right,

Actually I'm a she :tongue2:

gobs

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 20:43 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
Quote from: "gobs"
They have their uses, but they do grow like weeds, which I think woodburner meant and he is right,

Actually I'm a she :tongue2:

Welcome girl. Do beg your pardon. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 20:45 »
Thank-you and no problem. :D

FCG

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 22:44 »
I cheated and bought some 'growing' herbs from ASDA at 78p a pop. No disease and they are growing like mad... certainly helps that they are right next to the kitchen door! To find them have a look at the veg isle, they should be there. Usually sold at about 6-8' high.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 22:47 »
Mature oregano plants can be divided.

The easiest way to propagate rosemary is by layering. Simply peg a lower branch into the soil or a plant pot.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ka_ka

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 23:00 »
Quote from: "freecyclegardener"
I cheated and bought some 'growing' herbs from ASDA at 78p a pop. No disease and they are growing like mad... certainly helps that they are right next to the kitchen door! To find them have a look at the veg isle, they should be there. Usually sold at about 6-8' high.

Oh, does this work? May have to go get some tomorrow. My Hubby suggested this but I didn't think it would work. I think I'll do that tomorrow! Thanks

woodburner

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 23:17 »
Quote from: "Ka_ka"
Quote from: "freecyclegardener"

Oh, does this work? May have to go get some tomorrow. My Hubby suggested this but I didn't think it would work. I think I'll do that tomorrow! Thanks

They are sown very densely, and are pot bound within a day or two.

Dominic

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 22:08 »
I've got coriander and something else growing like mad.

Peat pots, filled with compost, dump about 5mm of b/f/b powder.
Put them in a propagator, water heavily until the base is filled with water, pop a few seeds in each pot, mine grew like crazy.
Waited about 6 weeks, chucked em outside, growing fine.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 23:14 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
Quote from: "annie b"

No, I was talking about propagation and said it's the same for mint, except for the weed bit.  :roll:  :lol:

Yes, I know what you mean.....but even when I'm pulling up a clump of lemon balm, I never seem to mind somehow.That intenese fragramnce jsut puts me in a good mood...and they're so easy to pull out anyway.Unlike some othere weeds I was trying to pull up today!

xx
Growing herbs

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 16:58
by compostqueen
xx
Growing Herbs.

Started by Plot 6B on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 11:23
by lettice
xx
Growing and looking after herbs - please help

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 13:25
by Annie
xx
Herbs and growing them indoors.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 02:34
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 30 queries.