Allotment Jitters

• 48 Replies

potato head

Allotment Jitters
« on: May 02, 2015, 14:21 »
I've just got an allotment and I'm nearly 15 years old. It's quite daunting and I was just hoping for some words of wisdom or any useful tips I should know!  :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 14:22 by potato head »
Not your average teenager: I've got an allotment, make lace, my favourite film is My Fair Lady and all the musicians I listen to are probably dead! ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Allotment Jitters
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 14:33 »
Hi there potato head and welcome to the forum  :D

Congratulations on getting your first plot: you must be very excited.

The biggest tip I can give you is to settle down and read through Articles & Advice (Link in the green ribbon top left of page) as there is lots there about starting off with a new plot.

How large is your plot?

Have you inherited a shed?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 14:36 »
Well done potato head. Make friends with your plot neighbours, read everything on here and have fun!

potato head

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 14:39 »
Thanks  :) I'm definitely excited!!!

It's 19m x 5m and I haven't inherited a shed but I have been given space to put one if I want!

potato head

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 14:40 »
Thank you! :tongue2:

miggs

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 14:45 »
Well done. Keep coming on here, read everything you can and have some fun while you do it. You will never stop learning and don't forget, there is no such thing as a daft question.

potato head

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 14:48 »
Thanks!  :D

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 15:03 »
OK, so the shed question has been covered. Do you need to do lots of digging or is the plot already good to go? And what are you planning to grow?

And two tips. The gardeners' diaries section makes useful reading. You'll see what everyone else is up to and how they do it. Plus, take it slow and steady. You'll have a lot of fun and you'll be amazed what progress you make.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 15:04 »
Thanks  :) I'm definitely excited!!!

It's 19m x 5m and I haven't inherited a shed but I have been given space to put one if I want!

That is a very good size for a first plot, and not too much to dig over and get going. It is not too late to plant potatoes, and lots you can start at home in modules if you have the space (Some families object to pots on the window sill for some treason--never understood that myself  :lol:) like runner beans, peas etc so they will be ready to plant out when you have their spaces organised.

if you look on your local Freecycle or Gumtree you might find a shed for free too

potato head

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 15:25 »
OK, so the shed question has been covered. Do you need to do lots of digging or is the plot already good to go? And what are you planning to grow?

The whole thing needs digging but with some help I've dug over about half of it!
I've got sweet peas, peas, potatoes, onions, lettuce and sunflowers!

potato head

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 15:28 »

and lots you can start at home in modules if you have the space (Some families object to pots on the window sill for some treason--never understood that myself  :lol:) like runner beans, peas etc so they will be ready to plant out when you have their spaces organised.

My parents have given me a bit in their greenhouse which I've started off my sweet peas in! :tongue2:

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 15:45 »
Congratulations or getting half of it dug over. The whole thing sounds brilliant. If your parents don't grow sweetcorn, you will make yourself very popular at home by growing some. It's absolutely delicious. Now's a good time to start some off.

One thing not to grow a lot of: courgette plants! I love courgettes but the plants are surprisingly productive. You can soon end up with more than you know what to do with, especially if you miss one and it turns into a baseball bat masquerading as a vegetable.

Sweetpeas are lovely. Such a gorgeous scent and such pretty flowers.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 15:47 »
Well done PH -

What do you and your family like to eat? All very well growing stuff if no one want to eat it ;)
If you have a bit of space in the greenhouse and you like sweetcorn then I'd suggest getting some of that growing. Its quite a striking plant to grow and the taste of freshly harvested SC is amazing. Mine rarely get to the kitchen - I just eat it raw on the allotment.
You could probably still grow some tomatoes from seed - and maybe pick up some plants from the garden centre.

Pip pip,
Balders

potato head

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 16:00 »
Unfortunately at the allotments if I grew sweet corn the badgers would attack!  :( Any other veg ideas welcome as the plot is quite big and other than what I already have I'm not sure what to grow!!

Snoop

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 16:08 »
Gosh, that's a shame.

What about winter squash? They have impressive flowers, grow like mad and all in all look quite dramatic. They make fantastic eating in the winter as well, if you've got somewhere dry and cool you can store them.

xx
Allotment help!!

Started by Tattieman69 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 19:32
by Chrysalis
xx
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2015, 17:47
by cadalot
clip
Ive got a allotment!!!

Started by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 07:31
by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage
xx
I would like an allotment

Started by ChickenSarah on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 19:55
by madcat

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 37 queries.