can't get an allotment :{

• 40 Replies

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« on: April 03, 2008, 22:45 »
Hi peeps, I'm brand spanking new and miffed  :(
I've tried our local council website but there are no allotments available in my area. A waiting list with 30 before me for a 26 plot site.
My garden's seriously tiny, say 30' x 20ft, I have a mini greenhouse with seeds planted, and containers with beans, peas; ready for toms, cucs,  peppers, chillis,  troughs with herbs, potato barrel. I've nowhere to plant caulis etc. I'm limited to what I can grow. I'd love to be able to go all out & do. Sorry to rant on my first post, I just wish i could get an allotment now I've time for one ......... sigh!

bean

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 08:36 »
I recently read of a scheme being started in the Isle of Wight where potential gardeners are being matched with people with gardens who can't manage them (the elderly in mind), so that effectively you get an allotment in someone's garden.

Is it worth asking around/advertising to see if anyone who can't manage their garden would let you use some - maybe in return for a few veg?

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
can't get an allotment
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 08:51 »
Thanks bean, will give that suggestion some thought  :wink:

nothinghasdiedyet

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:57 »
I can't remember where I read it TBH but I think it was in a copy of Grow your Own (I will look for you tonight after work) but somewhere a few like minded wannabee allotmenteers approached the council about helping them contact a local farmer/farmers to see if they have any spare land they would lease to a group of growers.

IWI that it would cost you a little more than the standard allotment charge but it may be worth considering

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 10:21 »
some councils are pathetic at letting their plots. Sad but oh so true  :evil:  So get down to the plot yourself and have a look at what's empty and speak to people on the site who'll be well aware of what's available. They can be plots sitting empty for months and a waiting list a mile long so get proactive and go get yourself a plot.  If you keep asking at least it will encourage them to get a move on and get folks moved up the list and onto a plot

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
can't get an allotment
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 12:16 »
Thanks peeps for your replies. Cutting a story short, I did just that. Went to the address of of the secretary, who has not only put me on the waiting list, but also given me contact details of powers that be AND took me in to look around the allotment site so I could have a wander, and meet other allotmenteers.
I can't tell you what she told me but I'm gona email the powers that be - now! Keep your fingers crossed for me and watch this space!!!!

Brixton Crack Squirrel

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:23 »
Stay with it - I got mine in November after 3 1/2 years on the waiting list!!

richiechivz

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 12:27 »
The best advice I can give you is to ring the site sec. I did every four weeks and I managed to get a plot within 5 months. Now, although there was a waiting list, I dodnt think they check people are still interested. By pestering my site sec he could see I was enthusiastic and very interested and managed to find room when the others on the list had seem to have lost interest. Thats my advice. I think some allotments need to pay more attention to reviewing their waiting lists.

neil1967

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 13:03 »
With 30 others on the waiting list could you not find out a few of them and approach the council as a group, I'm sure I've read that if you have 5 or 6 other people wanting an allotment the council have to supply you with the land. Some one with a better knowledge of the subject may be along in a bit to confirm this.

Failing that how about a move to another borough.

It seems I was extremely lucky as I phoned my council and was offered a plot during the same phone call.

Neil

Wildeone

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 13:13 »
30 is not that long a list! - put your name down and wait it might be next year but it will be all the more sweeter for the wait!  :D
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

hickorychickory

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 13:20 »
I like the idea about phoning them every 4 weeks.  Only applied for a lotty 3 days ago.  Did my form online, but have had no reply.  A phone call will have to be made  RIGHT NOW.  :tongue2:  

Will return with some news, hopefully good news :)

Ally

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 15:11 »
i've had no luck in my area - in my village i think there are no more than 10 that are all taken and i don't know of any in the surrounding villages either but the next village is a coupld of miles away.

our garden isn't huge and mum has dug up yet more plants this year to give me more room for growing.  can't help but feel guilty about that though.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 18:29 »
Quote from: "richiechivz"
The best advice I can give you is to ring the site sec. I did every four weeks and I managed to get a plot within 5 months. Now, although there was a waiting list, I dodnt think they check people are still interested. By pestering my site sec he could see I was enthusiastic and very interested and managed to find room when the others on the list had seem to have lost interest. Thats my advice. I think some allotments need to pay more attention to reviewing their waiting lists.

Apologies to those who read my previous post some weeks ago on the subject, and I don't intend to repeat everything I said there, but please have some consideration to others in your pursuit of a plot.

I am a site secretary of a council site.  I do it for free - I am a volunteer, not a council employee.  I spend most weekends at this time of year showing people round the site (it's just tailed off now).  

I administer the lists in a scrupulously fair way, so selfishly pestering or harassing me will not bump a person up the list above those people who are waiting politely.  I would hope that other site secretaries in other places have the same policy.  How else do you treat people fairly?

The waiting list on my site will be somewhere between 18 months to 2 years, I estimate.  If, despite being told this every time they rang, a person continued to pester me every couple of weeks or so, I would either decide that the hassle wasn't worth it and give up, or ask the council allotments officer to warn them about their conduct.

Neglected plots are always investigated and action taken against a tenant where appropriate in all the circumstances.

It has been suggested that site secretaries don't always check whether people on the waiting list are still interested.  I have had over 60 people on my list in the last year.  How often is it proposed that I ring every person individually?  Frequently on a mobile number, which is all that many people have these days.  On my own personal phone bill?  Surely it should be down to the person on the list to let me know that they've changed their mind, got a plot elsewhere, or moved away?

It is not unusual for people to have to wait for a plot, sometimes for a number of years.  It's really regrettable, and I myself had to wait for mine, but please, please think twice before you get carried away in how you pursue your dream.

End of rant.   :D  I hope I haven't upset anyone by my post, but I felt that the other side needed to be put.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

vespaman

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 20:02 »
2 and a half years for a half plot took it all the same as half is better than nothing.

put your name on list and phone them every nov or when the leases run out,and some dont pay.

shaun

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 21:01 »
well skem is a new town so i can see theres not to many sites to choose from,bet if you go down the road to wigan you will be spoilt for choice
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2015, 17:47
by cadalot
xx
Got my allotment !!! :D

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 03:45
by Chappers
xx
New allotment

Started by attia of the julii on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 20:42
by wotisname
xx
A new allotment

Started by fjace5 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 22:23
by Nogger

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 30 queries.