Allotment Jitters

• 48 Replies

potato head

Re: Allotment Jitters
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2015, 08:38 »
Okay. Which book would you recommend?? :)
Not your average teenager: I've got an allotment, make lace, my favourite film is My Fair Lady and all the musicians I listen to are probably dead! ;)

cadalot

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 08:59 »
The two of Johns books I bought when I first got my allotment were The essential Allotment Guide and Vegetable Growing Month by Month - John signs them and send you seeds if you buy directly from him. You will get loads of books as everyone will buy them for you for birthdays and Christmas but I always return to Johns.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 09:04 »
This 'man of mystery' who goes by the name of 'John' is the chap who runs this site... John Harrison.  ;)

His book page is http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/index.php

Carrot fly do this see:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=485
..nasty blighters.

Pip pip,
Balders

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2015, 09:04 »
I've been trying to plan and have been getting nowhere... :/ Also sounds stupid but what is carrot fly?

Would it help to treat this year as a trial year and without making concrete plans that would be a faff to change about how you lay the whole thing out?

I'd never grown anything before I got mine, and I spent the first season just putting things in where I could and learning how veg grows and the soil was. Some of mine is wetter or stonier than other bits, and it gets really boggy & clay-ey near the bottom. By the end of the year I'd completely changed my mind about how I wanted to have it.

For books I use John's Essential Allotment Guide and Joy Larkom's Grow your Own Vegetables and keep going back to them.

potato head

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2015, 11:27 »
Thanks for the advice on books I'll be buying them asap!
Carrot fly looks nasty... how do I avoid it?

3759allen

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2015, 11:36 »
bear in mind that fruit will be a long term thing taking a few years before they produce and once established don't benefit from being moved. so if you are thinking fruit get them going as soon as possible and be sure that they're in the right place and that you aren't going to re locate.

I wouldn't agree with that - I've successfully moved strawberries and some old (30 yrs+) gooseberries and redcurrants. It is simple, it just depends on when & how you move them.

i agree they can be moved. what i was getting at that it's not ideal to put some in this year and in a year or so decide there may be a better place or you decide to move to a different plot. moving will not kill them but will put them back a bit.

bushes aren't too bad to move compared to tree's and strawberries are recommended to be moved or the growing material changed every 3 years so no biggy.

raspberries and blackberries will keep giving up fresh shoots for a while so best to plant them in the best place in the first place.

3759allen

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2015, 11:46 »
potato head, i would take the time to read as many of the previous threads on here and other forums. read through as many as you can. unlike books forums offer a lot of different opinions, views and experience. you also get a good idea of what will grow best in your area rather than in general.

as your on an allotment you can see if you could scrounge surplus plants from others allotmenteers (if thats even a word), most people sow more than they need in case of loss. then you can see what grows best where you are and what you like the taste of. you will also be able to plan better for next year once you know the plot a little better (sheltered/ sunny spots and if there is any difference in soil characteristics)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2015, 17:05 »
Thanks for the advice on books I'll be buying them asap!
Carrot fly looks nasty... how do I avoid it?

They are very small and can make their way through "normal" net and debris netting too. I use enviromesh which has very, very small holes and cover the bed with the carrots in firmly, draped over blue water pipe hoops. It is foolproof and avoids huge disappointment over carrots.

Lots of folk recommend growing onions etc alongside carrots so the flies cannot small the leaves of the carrot plants but tbh I have not found it that helpful myself.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

potato head

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2015, 18:04 »
Thanks!  :D

cadalot

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2015, 18:57 »
[They are very small and can make their way through "normal" net and debris netting too. I use enviromesh which has very, very small holes and cover the bed with the carrots in firmly, draped over blue water pipe hoops. It is foolproof and avoids huge disappointment over carrots.

Debris netting has worked for me with no problems

potato head

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2015, 19:08 »
Is debris netting expensive??

Snoop

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2015, 19:18 »
On the pest front, I'd ask someone on your site. They'll be able to tell you what to worry about and what not. It may be that carrot fly aren't a serious problem where you are or that they are a big problem but that you'll be able to grow whopper onions or show-winning cabbages. These things are very local.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2015, 23:02 »
Is debris netting expensive??

Welcome to the world of veggie growing!!!

Have a look on ebay, netting comes in various colours - I prefer green , 2 or 3 meter width , length up to 50 meters last time I looked. Check for postage/delivery combined with product cost for overall price. I bought a 50 meter x 2 meter length a couple of years for about £25 approx.

Once you start to eat 'proper fresh' veg you won't look back. My eldest loves the potatoes , but is not interested in how they get to the plate!!

On the reading front, as has been mentioned, these pages offer bucket loads of help and there are no daft questions!!!  Book wise you could try your library or help Mr Harrison's publishiing empire!!
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

snowdrops

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2015, 07:36 »
Hi there & welcome to the wonderful world of allotments. What do your friends say about you plot? Have you persuaded any to join in?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

potato head

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2015, 08:39 »

Have a look on ebay, netting comes in various colours - I prefer green , 2 or 3 meter width , length up to 50 meters last time I looked. Check for postage/delivery combined with product cost for overall price. I bought a 50 meter x 2 meter length a couple of years for about £25 approx.

Thanks I'll check it out! :)

xx
new allotment

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 11:18
by Christine
xx
Help with allotment?

Started by RodV on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2017, 18:05
by Yorkie
clip
Allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 15:30
by ches
xx
new allotment

Started by sam51 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 12, 2013, 21:31
by pauly58

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 29 queries.