New Raspberry canes - dead?

• 45 Replies

maddave

• Experienced Member
New Raspberry canes - dead?
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:58 »
I bought and planted some new raspberry canes back in November. Initially they all had some small growth showing on them.  Today, all but one looks alive with new leaf growth.  The others just look like single sticks stuck in the ground!  They are all different varieties, summer and autumn fruiting.

Should they be sprouting new growth now, or are they well and truly dead?! 

LotuSeed

Re: New Raspberry canes - dead?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:40 »
If you can spare the space you could always just leave them there for two more weeks and see if they perk up. Did you purchase them bare root?
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:42 »
oh yes, definitely leave them a little longer - canes I thought were dead perked up weeks after the others had

Ivor Backache

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:48 »
My summer ones are coming into leaf, and the autumn ones are sending up fresh growth. On that basis it does not look too promising.
Your autumn ones may not show any growth because the new fruit stock will come from the roots.
March has been a cold month this year, but April seems to making up for that. The next 2 weeks will probably decide . Scratch the bark gently to see if there is any life.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:51 »
Despite the woody and usually prickly canes they produce, the first shoots are surprisingly tender and therefore sometimes attract the attention of slugs and snails - watch out for that if and when they start shooting, which you can expect to take longer than with established plants.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:12 »
Ah Ok! So things could be promising!  Yes, they were barefoot canes.  I can spare the space as they are in a dedicated bed, so I'll see what happens over the coming weeks!

Thanks.

ptarmigan

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 12:46 »
I'm in exactly the same position, except mine are all autumn fruiting rasps. The ones I planted last year are showing signs of life but the ones I planted this year are looking like dead twigs still.  I'll take heart from the replies on here and leave them for a while longer. 

icbradley

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 13:10 »
I would leave them.  I remember mine took ages but they will be earlier next year as they are established.
Ian

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 16:27 »
Agree with all of the above, I've got 12 bare root canes I put in over the winter and 4 which I moved from another site a few weeks ago.  The ones I moved are growing vigorously, and the others look like sticks standing in the ground.... except that I noticed this morning that 2 or 3 or them are definitely producing some new leaves around the bottom so I think there is hope.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 22:16 »
I am in this position too was starting to feel I had wasted my money, and wold be looking at 10 sticks in the ground for most of the season, however I am more that happy to wait a but for some new growth.

Fingers crossed we all get some form of germination and a mini harvest  :unsure:

Flowertot

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 22:55 »
Me too. I planted 18 new autumn fruiting canes last November and only two have new shoots  :unsure: I'm glad I saw this thread - it gives me hope  8) - so thanks.

barley

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 20:15 »
think were all to impatient  :lol:

I planted 20 canes in November and have been making sure they have not dried out and I do believe there are signs of a little life in some

oldgrunge

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 21:48 »
Me too! The autumn fruiting canes I planted last January are still showing no signs of life, whereas my 3 year old summer fruiting  canes are in leaf. But having read the above, they are probably settling in.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 20:05 »
Just to let you know all of my winter planted raspberry cane are now showing signs of life, most from the bottom though some have new buds showing on the old stalk.  Strange because they are all the same type!

oldgrunge

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 21:11 »
I'm really pleased, haven't looked at mine for a few days. but as I'm a bit further north, I hope mine will follow suit soon.

xx
Raspberry - dead?

Started by rcf100 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2012, 03:42
by Trillium
xx
where to buy raspberry canes

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 14:09
by allotmentann
xx
RaspBerry Canes

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2016, 19:27
by lfcevans
xx
Raspberry Canes

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 20, 2010, 20:11
by DavidT

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 32 queries.