When to start?

• 30 Replies

snowdrops

Re: When to start?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 07:35 »

I forget how many years we've been through this scenario now!

That's the beauty of this forum, there's always some newbies that require the full chance of hearing of our expertise, & oh don't we like sharing it  :lol: :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 08:43 »
a corner of the poly tunnel cordoned off with poly styrene sheets and racking in
on cold nights the lid goes on and an old quilt thrown over that  and a small thermostatic heater goes in on a frost free setting

Have you tried sowing a Tomato in March and seeing what difference it makes?

A couple of chums of mine did an experiment last year sowing some early, and some in March, and I think they had less than a week's cropping from the early ones before the later ones started, and they decided it wasn't worth the hassle of nurturing the earlier sown ones.  You might also find that the later sown ones are more robust, healthy, plants having had less/no stress when young.

I can understand wanting to make a start ... so maybe half-and-half this year?

I used to plant Potatoes at the earliest possible date, to get an early crop.  I'd be out there carefully earthing up on frosty nights, sometimes with a torch if the weather caught me by surprise ... and in years with a late frost I would have to have lawn mowings that I could heap on the, by then large, early potato plants.  Lots of fleece to put over the rows ...

Well Blow That! I haven't done it for years. I now grow some bags / containers for the number of spuds we will actually eat early, I plant just a few earlies to then provide meals for a couple of weeks, and then plant the rest at a date where there is no chance that I will have to do anything more than regular earthing up to keep the frost off them. Similar approach with early sowings of Veg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 08:50 »
Pretty much the same reasoning, Kristen, as to why I don't bother with over-wintering peas. Not worth the effort for a crop a few days earlier.

Not worth the faff!

Join the NFGG now!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:52 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

syks grower

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 10:11 »
Best advice I was given when I started on the plot.
Don't sow until you can sit on the soil with your bare bum and read a newspaper.
I go on conditions not date.

I do sow peppers  and aubergine in mid Feb in heat, because they  grow much slower than tomatoes I have enough Windows space to grow them on without them getting leggy.I'll
When the weather warms up a bit I will show broad beans in greenhouse and I
always try half a dozen early cabbage and cauliflower to try to fill the gap between overwinter crops and spring sown.
I will always try with  a couple of plants if I want to sow things earlier than normal.
I find sowing tomatoes on 31 st March (wife's birthday) works for me,obviously this date is dependent on whereabouts in the country and what facilities you have

barley

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 15:35 »

Have you tried sowing a Tomato in March and seeing what difference it makes?

A couple of chums of mine did an experiment last year sowing some early, and some in March, and I think they had less than a week's cropping from the early ones before the later ones started

trouble is Kristen once you have an itch you just gotta scratch it  :lol:

I enjoy gazing at the seed trays daily waiting for that little shoot to appear  ;)

3759allen

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 21:12 »
i will be sowing most of my seeds when they will germinate in the unheated poly tunnel. i will do peppers and chillies earlier inside, and a couple of cucs and toms max.

last year the plants that i sowed and germinated in the tunnel gave a hugely healthier plant with better crop than the early sown ones.

so this year i'm only doing 1 or 2 to get an earlier crop. don't see the point in all the effort and faff of early sowing lots of plants.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 08:57 »
I have to admit that I have got my super hot chillies in the propagator at the moment,as they say start these early as they can take many weeks to germinate.
Otherwise I am just sitting on my hands at the moment !!!!! 
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 19:47 »
As a newbie I am itching to plant too, however I have amused myself by wondering whether I should buy a heated or a un-heated propagator for my windowsill.   :)

beesrus

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 05:30 »
I have several tomatoes and chilies sown, along with leeks,onions and a few early brassicas. Those who sow much later often end up complaining in the second half of the season of late tomato gluts or blight taking out their toms or potatoes before they're ready, but then some gardeners always like a good annual moan. :D
If one has a mild climate, use it to advantage in any way you can. Spreading out the season and harvest by a few weeks is worthwhile if you have the time on your hands now, and is one of the joys of the hobby.
It's very easy to get behind with all the sowing in March that has to be fitted around the other plot preparations, let alone working commitments. Managing the available pots and even greenhouse space can be a problem, and propagator space is always at a premium.
Just find enough light and warmth for those toms. Be inventive and enjoy the challenge.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 12:55 »
Pretty much the same reasoning, Kristen, as to why I don't bother with over-wintering peas. Not worth the effort for a crop a few days earlier.

Not worth the faff!

Join the NFGG now!

NFGG???   Was puzzled by this, and having agitated the grey matter asked the 'net'   Came up with National Framework on Good Governance .  Is that right?
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 13:06 »
eerrrr - not quite  :tongue2:

DD. is a founder member of the NFGG. (No Faff Gardening Group).

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 14:25 »
Thank goodness for that!!  I much prefer the No Faff approach, thank you for the clarification.  Sounded like some government think tank run by bureaucrats. 

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 10:36 »
I have caved in today and purchased some leek plants from my local garden centre, they are the size of a biro refill.  Just need to find a space in my shed to keep them warm until my OH finishes the cold frame.

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 17:47 »
January 1st each year, ignore the hangover get the maincrop onion and sweet pea seeds sown - scratch that itch.:D

I find that I can then relax and watch over these while looking through the seed catalogues to plan what where and when now that the very early stuff is underway.

Admittedly the growth rate is slow, starting this early however does the job and keeps you mindful of the yearly cycle and what is achievable, all the rest depends on the sowing calendar and ground conditions.
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

barley

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2015, 19:38 »
the rotorvating is done  :D - it was just perfect not to wet not to dry and sun shine all day

now were really itching  :lol:

going round dads tomorrow to get his rotorvated too  :lol:

xx
New and where to start?????????

Started by gem on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 18:53
by Ourveggiepatch
xx
where do i start ????

Started by WOODY7 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 19:24
by moose
wink
Where to start.

Started by ohsocute on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 08:26
by ohsocute
xx
Where to Start

Started by chuckmad on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 11:27
by VeggieVirgin

Page created in 0.831 seconds with 30 queries.