New and where to start?????????

• 8 Replies

gem

New and where to start?????????
« on: July 29, 2009, 18:27 »
Hello All,

Ive just taken over my first allotment after being on the waiting list for 2 years and its a nice big allotment, but it is SO overgrown Im not quite sure were to start seems to be brambles, rasps, long gras and thistles ALL over.

The shed is in a bad state of disrepair so that needs sorted as well.

Im not quite sure were to start I know that i will have to clear it and get it ready for growing next year??

Any suggestions were to start or tips for brambles and thistles?  :wacko:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:44 by DD. »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: New and were to start?????????
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 18:35 »
Congrats on the plot Gem!

Have a look at this link for starters

http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 19:16 »
Not that I'm an expert but I'd suggest trying to do it in stages. 

If you can get just one small bit really going and get something planted you'll be so pleased when you eat your first crop that it'll spur you on when you may be feeling that the whole lottie is just too much!

Parsnip

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 19:30 »
Welcome to the forum gem..

I'm no expert either. I got my allotment in October last year, but I'll tell you what I did.

Firstly I worked out what I wanted to grow and when I needed to get it in and what I needed to do with the ground ready for growing.

Then I started on one section, lined it off and made that my goal. I am only using just over third of my plot because there was so much to get rid of that I decided to just do what I could this year and then clear the rest later.

When I got a bit overwhelmed by the weeds on the bit I'm not using I put Glyphosate weed killer on it and when the weeds died down, I covered it in weed supressing fabric...However..if you are considering this route, make sure you are happy with using weed killers by researching them first..there is plenty about them if you google it and also on here if you use the search facility.

I've had some very pleasing crops...I'm very happy with my spuds and broad beans, they have been yummy... :D

One step at a time ;) I'm sure you'll love it..good luck and we have to have pictures it's the law.. ;)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 19:35 by Parsnip »

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 22:05 »
I'm new to allotments also, and have had mine for about a fortnight and am still in the process of clearing.

For two weeks, I've done long days on the plot almost every day (as I have the luxury of being off work for Summer holidays), and I haven't even fully done a quarter.

I split mine up into small sections and started clearing first, putting big weeds into a bucket and then dumping them on a heap which I will allow to compost for years.  When relatively clear, I forked everything over and weeding more thoroughly.  I'm about to start adding barrow loads of manure over the next few days.  It sounds obvious, but the more I dig, the easier it all seems !

Have fun with it !

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 00:36 »
I'm old.... not new at all.

I'd start at the beginning - with the soil - leave the shed until winter when everything else is done unless the roof leaks like mad then a cheap blue "canvas" from B&Q will cure that for now.

If you can chop or strim the tops from all the weeds to prevent them from spreading seeds on your plot and your neighbours... you'll quickly gain some friends and save yourself a bit of extra work later.

Next decide on one crop for right now (you need an incentive and to enjoy success in growing something) then pick one patch and clear it for your first crop/s.

Once you've cleared and planted this bit take a look around the plot and see if there's anything worth preserving such as any fruit bushes or plants that might crop this year.... if there are give them a quick (unfussy) tidy up to keep them going.

Now you can plod your way through clearing a section at a time... either a strip or a block which ever you find easiest.

If the soil is damp and the ground not too rock hard "skimming" the surface with a sharp spade will help remove the vegitation and you can see the soil to dig it looking out for weed roots such as dandelion and buttercup (as well as any stringy and white roots) as these will regrow left in the soil.

I found taking a few snaps with a camera is useful... saved to HD and dated helps to form a diary of your progress and you can look back and see what you've achieved.

You'll have right through to spring to clear the soil - as you go along your first crop will need a bit of tender loving care and should bring you your first pay-back-crop.

By end of summer / early autumn you will have a space for Japanese onion sets - stick in a row and leave them to over-winter. Garlic and elephant garlic can be grown the same way.

While all the getting ready and clearing for next season is going on you could take a break and sort out a compost heap - annual weeds into this will give you compost to improve the soil in 12 months time - other weeds, once they have dried out a little across the plot, can be piled up for a bonfire one evening near dusk (check your site rules on bonfires first).

At home, or in the shed, sit and begin your Christmas pressie list.... others will be pleased to have some help deciding what to buy for you... include cheaper items like string, packets of named seeds and also some more expensive tools that would be useful........

I wish you as much enjoyment as I had when I first took over my plot.... take it easy... you'll get out what you put in as well as some fresh air and good friends.

Keep at it & good luck!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

gem

Re: New and where to start?????????
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 13:15 »
Thanks everyone for your comments, I agree starting with a small patch is a good idea as the whole thing as one seems far to big a task.

I shall look at the plot and pick a spot and go from there.  I am going to take some photos as it is now and then try add them so progress can be seem by me and all of those who helped me!

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 14:26 »
Hi Gem :)

Excellent advice from Learner and the others there.

I am new to this grown your own marlarky too.  My plot was in a right old state - in fact some of it still is!  But I have cleared a decent patch after becoming best friends with my petrol brush cutter and digging out miles of bindweed and brambles and nettles (haven't resorted to weekiller yet....but have been sorely tempted! and each to their own anyway) and now have potatoes, leeks, parsnips and peas happily growing.  Its the best feeling seeing your hard work come to fruition.

Don't try to do too much at once and just enjoy it.  The pics are a must - especially for the days when you might get a bit disheartened (like me with the awful bindweed) - you can see the progress you've made and it motivates you to keep going!

Half my plot is still under black plastic at the moment but its not all bad news as I have planted pumpkins through the plastic and they are growing nicely - an idea I got from this brilliant forum.  Honestly, there's usually a solution/answer to everything - but prepare to become addicted - to your allotment and this forum! :D
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 18:53 »
Hi

I got mine on 4th June, it was freshly ploughed by the farmer however the weeds have all grown back but, being that i havent walked on the marked out beds the weeds are easy to lift.  Not good advice I know as you can generate more weeds in the long run, but it makes it easier to clear as the soil isn't as compacted.

The beds I cant do I simply covered with weed suppressant however this does not stop serious pernennials (sorry about spelling) such as Ground Elder - a lot of people are using Silo sheets - black large plastic sheets.

personally if I was to take on a brand new plot, i would definately rotavate and then cover with silo sheets and gently pull up the weeds that grow and hoe any little ones.

This is not good advice but it is what I would do.

Thanks

OVP

xx
What can I start on now??

Started by Cheryl B on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 23:01
by Zippy
xx
hi where do i start ?

Started by nicklord1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 10:36
by johnathome
xx
well it's a start

Started by skippy1707 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 16:58
by skippy1707
xx
Where to start ?

Started by kevinp on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 12:57
by potatogrower

Page created in 0.606 seconds with 36 queries.