Where to start.

• 10 Replies

ohsocute

Where to start.
« on: October 31, 2009, 20:34 »
 ;)
Hi everyone,
We have just been given a piece of land approx 6 mtrs x 50mtrs, we want to be as self sufficient as possible, ideal as we live in the countryside.
The strip of land has never been worked and is covered in brambles, weeds, wild roses etc.

We have never had an allotment before so will need as much help as possible.
Somebody even suggested that we get a couple of pigs to turn it all over for us, free fertilizer etc.
Love the idea, but not sure, doesn't seem right to put them on land covered in brambles.
Any comments, please.
Thanks
Mick & Babs. :wacko:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:30 by ohsocute »

tode

Re: Total newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 21:19 »
Hi, Ohsocute    :)

This is place to come to for brambles, weeds, wild roses and even pigs   :D

Welcome

ohsocute

Where to start.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 12:44 »
Hi all, total newbies here. ;)
Been given a strip of land by the council, totally free of charge, approx 6mtrs x 50mtrs.
It is at the moment covered in brambles, weeds etc. Hasn't been worked for at least 10 yrs.
Where on earth do we start?
Somebody has suggested that we put a couple of pigs on it and let them clear it, we were actually thinking of keeping pigs aswell as growing our own fruit & veg.
It doesn't seem fair to pigs on such ground, but we have been assured that they will be ok.
Can someone please advise us as to whether ok or not.
Apparently one of our past neighbours used to keep pigs on the strip many years ago, but unfortunately they are no longer with us so can't ask them.
Help!!!!! :(
Mick & Babs.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Where to start.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 13:35 »
Mick & Babs, I've merged your two posts as they essentially ask the same questions and it's easier for people to only have one thread to reply to  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Christine

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 15:01 »
Borrow a goat to get rid of the brambles prior to clearing other things.  :)

tode

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 16:25 »
In my v.h. opinion, you've got enough trouble without having goats and pigs and whatnot as well    :D    :D

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 18:28 »
Congratulations on getting some land - is it on an allotment site or somewhere else?  I would be tempted to check any terms from the council as they may not, now, allow pigs anyway.

There is lots of great advice on here about clearing plots.  My advice would be to clear little and often and get stuff planted once a section is cleared.  This will give you some motivation to keep going!

Good luck!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 19:03 »
Have a look  here

for some ideas about clearing your plot :)
You are lucky!

ohsocute

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 18:24 »
 :)
Hi all,
Many thanks for your replies, the council have said it is ok for us to keep livestock on our strip, as I reminded them that pigs were kept on there previously ;)
We have also been given the go-ahead to keep chickens in our back garden, ;) provided that we don't have a cockerel, 8) which is fair enough.
Hope to get started on it in a couple of weeks as I am hoping my OH is back at work next week after injuring himself at work 5 weeksago >:(.
We already have an old apple tree at one end which gives us some brill cooking apples, so at least we have a start :lol:
Just thought of a brill way to get plot cleared, I'll tell teenage daughter that I've hidden her make up out there. :D
Once again, thanks for all replies, will definitely be needing more.
Mick & Babs.
Lincolnshire.

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 19:07 »
lucky you, id love to be able to keep a few animals, we can not even have hens on our plot as its too close to houses :(
i too got a brand new plot this year. take it easy with the weeding ect and like the people said, do a small bit then plant that, it looks great everytime you look at it. if i had tried to clear it all before growing i would have got fed up, i did one third then planted it, iv just got another third dug over, and the other is still to do

good look with it all
first year grower

ohsocute

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 08:26 »
Will do as suggested, only so much at a time.
Chicken house has arrived, :) so got to build a run to go with it. Putting it on hard standing with approx 4-6in leaf litter on floor, house is 5ft L x 4ft H x 3ft W, and after OH taking me to a petting farm for the day yesterday we have decided on size of run for them 15ft x 9ft.
Managed to come home without any cute little animals hidden in pockets, :blush: (only just though), after seeing all the newly hatched chicks, piglets, pygmy goats, (even groomed some goats). ;)
One day, as they say.
Stay lucky.
Mick & Babs.

xx
When do I start

Started by -Cat- on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 26, 2008, 16:18
by Porffor
xx
when and how do i start

Started by robert1964 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 03, 2007, 21:45
by urbanfarmer
xx
where do i start???

Started by gizooty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 14:55
by Sadgit
xx
New Start

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 00:28
by Kristen

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 37 queries.