eglu...hen dilemma

• 15 Replies

Carrie99

eglu...hen dilemma
« on: January 15, 2015, 15:42 »
Hi, I'm after some advice. I have an eglu and originally had three ex bats. They've passed away over the years and a friend needed somewhere to put one buff Orpington whilst I had one ex bat left. This was temporary but has became a permanent feature of my eglu altho I'd have originally considered it too large a breed for such a dwelling. I'm now left with her and am worried she's lonely but she was bullied quite badly by the then remaining ex bat and is very docile, which I understand is a general trait of buff Orpingtons.
My question is, what on earth do I get to keep her company? I think more Orpingtons wouldn't have enough room, I worry more ex bats would bully her with their confident nature...I considered bantams as I know others who mix both but have been told that my current hen could turn on them due to such a size difference. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Carrie

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Re: eglu...hen dilemma
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 15:45 »
I am a subscriber to the charity of ex-bats and I've often read that hens need to be in a minimum of three. Would a solution be to keep the Eglu but build a bigger, more appropriately sized hut and run so the girls have a choice?
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

snow white

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 16:15 »
Bigger hut.  More hens.  Or - another hut a bit bigger for some more big girlys and get some warrens for the eglu.   :ohmy:

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 16:19 »
I know what you mean about the Eglu.  I moved my birds home from the allotment as I was worried that vandals would harm them (we had a spate of wire being cut on hen houses and the birds let loose with foxes running around).  I bought an Eglue for my three Light Sussex hens.  They are big birds and I too thought it would be a squeeze.  How wrong I was.  They cuddle up together at night (I'll see if I can get a piccy) on one side of the house, so it could easily accommodate four, even in the summer when they spread out.

As to what breed to get, I can recommend Light Sussex as they are largely docile, but in any event you will need to introduce the hands to each other at a distance, so a wired off area in the run would be ideal, so that they can see each other and get used to each other, and then eventually introduce them totally.  This can be done especially by letting them all out in neutral territory, so they get a bit confused about who's in charge! 

I would think about getting another two birds ( my supplier won't sell single birds) and see what happens.  Good luck.

Carrie99

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 16:22 »
Hi, thanks for the replies. Another coop, of any kind isn't really an option at the minute, for lots of reasons really - I know it is sort of the eglu that's the issue though :-(. I'll look into the light sussex hens though as I'm sure I seen some up for sale recently in my area - and yes, I'd tried ringing a few places about getting a single hen and I couldn't find any suppliers that would allow this as they worried one new hen would be bullied. I'm happy to introduce slowly though and have been through the nasty introduction process a few times previously so know how evil they can be!

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 16:26 »
The eglu will be fine, as I said I'll try and get a pic of them tonight, you'll be surprised at the room.  Boss bird (aka Sticky) is a typical Light Sussex, nice and plump, and the others aren't much smaller.  I'm amazed how much room there is, they can all walk around in it without a fight ensuing!

Carrie99

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 16:28 »
Thanks! Do you have the standard eglu run? I was concerned about the outside space...?

ghost61

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 16:42 »
I started off with the standard run, and then extended it and then bought the walk in run.  They get released whenever weather permits ( surprisingly little damage done to the garden by them - mind you they get told off at certain times , so they have learnt to behave ) .  I wouldn't have more than three in the run, mind you, although strictly speaking I think I could have up to 6 as the walk in run is attached to the standard run.  If you are interested in the extension, PM me.

ghost61

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 17:26 »
Here's a pic of them tonight - gosh, it needs (another) clean out......

Assumes the pic has attached!!
005 (534x800).jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 18:04 »
I considered bantams as I know others who mix both but have been told that my current hen could turn on them due to such a size difference.

Bantams can be very feisty, so they may end up bossing your Orp girl around.  I had a tiny little Serama girl who was the size of a wood pigeon and no-one used to mess with her  :lol:

You can get bantam orps which are smaller than the full size, but around the size of an ex-bat.  Maybe worth trying to hunt some down.

I know you have been through the introduction process before and are well aware of the pitfalls of only having a single coop.  Any chance you could borrow a rabbit hutch or buy one second hand, so you have somewhere for the new girls to be while getting to know your orp?  I bought one second hand for £25.  It was a bit of a fixer upper, but it did the job. You could always re-sell it afterwards  :)

Carrie99

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 18:41 »
Haha, oh they do look quite fine in the eglu mind.

Yeah, a temp home would definitely be an option now you mention it, I'm thinking I'll look at a run extension maybe too.
Good idea about bantams though, I'm keeping an eye on local sales pages too so if I have a few potential breeds to keep an eye out for that's great!

grinling

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 20:10 »
Mine are a mixture of 3 large,1 medium and 1 bantam, they have spats. The original hens I had included a buff orpington and large and bantam birds.
Hen houses have limits, but you should be able to home the orp and 2 more.
Where would you quarantine 2 new ones?
State location as people like to rehome, or what might be easier is preloved, but you need to see the persons set up. Check for mycoplasmia, lice etc.  ex batts can be more aggressive as they complete more for food/space etc incl the free range ones.

Carrie99

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 21:37 »
In the past, I've split the run in two and allowed them to see one another for a few days that way, then the newbies stayed elsewhere overnight (mix of my.old coop and large indoor crate/cage) it's varied in how long its taken though.

I'm in Newcastle but would happily drive a little, I've been looking on preloved and bird trader, however a local supplier seems to have light Sussex and various bantams though.

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 08:42 »
Orpington bigger than Light Sussex.

Try Freecycle it is possible if you check daily to get hutches on there, it may take a while though. :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

grinling

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 13:29 »
I would quarantine for at least 3 weeks. I had a light sussex and was disappointed with the egg production, but they are a dual bird. The "bluebell" one is fantastic and back in lay. Bantams are cute, but don't expect many eggs, Roberta lays 10 and goes broody...she will be sitting on maran eggs again this year.

xx
A dilemma, any advice please...

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 19:05
by pink-chicken
xx
Pellets dilemma!

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 22:34
by nzdunn
xx
Incubating dilemma!

Started by pandora on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 09:54
by poppies
xx
Housing dilemma

Started by Ruby Red on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 22:46
by Ruby Red

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 32 queries.