Housing dilemma

• 10 Replies

Ruby Red

Housing dilemma
« on: June 05, 2008, 23:33 »
Its finally happened and I didnt think it would happen to me. After having 4 bantams for 1 year Ive decided I would like to buy 4 more. The 4 I have are in a coop with a 7 ft run. Now this is the problem. Do I go for a bigger coop and run that they all can go in. Or do I buy another of what I already have so the new ones can live seperately. If I do the latter, will both sets of hens possibly end up swopping coops etc and will they still get on eventually. I do let them out of the run when I finish work for a couple of hours. Really dont know what to buy for the best.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Housing dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 07:11 »
If you've got garden space then I'd go for the larger housing for all of them together.  This will make the introduction easy as you can keep them separated but in sight of each other for a couple of weeks to get to know each other.  They can free range together when you are home.

When you put them all together in the bigger house you will have the coop for: new introductions; hospital wing (excuse the pun); broody house for hatching chicks - you know you want to.  :wink:

Ruby Red

Housing dilemma
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 12:00 »
Thanks for your answer, now for another thing. Im useless when it comes to maths so I know you need 1 sq m per hen (i assume thats large hen). I will be sticking with banties or smaller hens. If I want 8 what sort of size are we looking at roughly. Can you give me eg 8ft by 5ft instead of 4 sq metres.  :oops: Thank you again.

compostqueen

Housing dilemma
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 15:20 »
I googled Little Morton Farm and that flagged up a Forsham Lenham 504 as being suitable for 8 hens

The Forhsam site gives the dimensions but it metric unfortunately  :D

poultrygeist

Housing dilemma
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 15:30 »
Stand back, I'm bilingual in measurements !  :)

Lenham 504 approx 4ft x 3ft with a nest box sticking out a further 13"

For 8 large hens at 1sq metre/bird, you're looking at about 6ft x 13ft

If you scale it down slightly for bantams, probably soemthing like 12ftx5ft or equivalent.
I think the 1sq metre rule is a bare minimum due to wanting a few bits and pieces in the run. I would try and get about 9 or 10 sq ft per bird.
So maybe 16ft x 5ft or 10ft x 8ft or any other combination giving about 80 sq ft. But if you're letting them roam for part of the day, I guess you can come down from that.
Wait for other opinions first though. Merely based on my limited experience.  :)

Rob

compostqueen

Housing dilemma
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 15:31 »
my hero  :lol:

poultrygeist

Housing dilemma
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 15:32 »
:oops:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Housing dilemma
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 15:32 »
Ruby, when you say 1sq metre (or just over 1sq yard!), you are talking about run space aren't you?  as its 1sq foot at least for housing, 1sq metre at least of run for each bird. more if possible so they've got somewhere nice and dry when it rains, unless you can have a covered over area in the run too!

Bodger

Housing dilemma
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 15:45 »
I'd go for a second set up, it will save the hassle of trying to merge the two flocks.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Housing dilemma
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 15:48 »
Oh and I forgot, you were talking about banty's too, so you could go slightly smaller.  

And I know what Bodger means, as Brian is never keen to merge old with new birds for some reason!

Ruby Red

Housing dilemma
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 22:46 »
Thanks everybody youve come up trumps. Got some good info to go forward with. If I can get my OH to buy my Forest season tkt then I can buy the run. Whoopee more hens. Its true what they say.  :D

xx
eglu...hen dilemma

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 14:42
by JaK
xx
Pellets dilemma!

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 22:34
by nzdunn
xx
Incubating dilemma!

Started by pandora on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 09:54
by poppies
xx
A dilemma, any advice please...

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 19:05
by pink-chicken

Page created in 0.626 seconds with 30 queries.