Broody and eggs - Day 18

• 2 Replies

Idolikeink

Broody and eggs - Day 18
« on: August 15, 2014, 13:09 »
Hello everyone, this is my first post.  We have owned back-garden chickens for four years now and this summer decided to take the next step.  Our Light Sussex hen became very broody in July and we decided to order half a dozen Crested Cream Legbar eggs for her to sit on.  She has been splendid so far, taking the job so seriously that we have to take her off the nest in the late afternoon to eat, drink and do the necessaries.  We wanted to keep her with the other three girls for as long as possible, but plan to put her and her eggs into the ground-level coop and run this evening.  Does anyone have any advice on the best way to go about this?  Our other question is regarding the flooring of the ark she is moving into.  It is an Eglu Go, with built in ground level perch and nesting area, which is removable.  Do you think it would be better to remove this, leaving Diana lower down to the ground with a flat area for the chicks to move about in, or to cover the perching area with cardboard and wood shavings? 

I know I sound a bit over-anxious, but the closer it comes, the more I feel like an anxious new mum myself?  Any advice would be very appreciated.

Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.

Sassy

Re: Broody and eggs - Day 18
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:17 »
She will not take kindly to being moved but you do need to move her. If one of you try to move her and another her eggs, eggs in first and then let her go to them. Have everything ready before you move her and ideally some of the old bedding so it is familiar. Whoever moves her may be advised to wear some leather gardening gloves and ensure their arms are covered, she is likely to try and peck and some hens can be quite vicious, she is try to protect her eggs after all. Then leave her alone to settle. Someone else will likely be along to help as well.

Remove the perch in the new housing, she will not use this whilst brooding and it will be in the way. Good luck it is great fun doing this. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Idolikeink

Re: Broody and eggs - Day 18
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 19:59 »
Thank you Sassy.  We took your advice and moved her yesterday and all went well and she has now snuggled down on her eggs in her new home.  Luckily, she has got used to being picked up each evening when we put her in the run to eat and drink, and has become tamer over the last couple of weeks. We have removed the perching bars and sprinkled medium wood shavings on the floor.  We're keeping our fingers crossed and will keep you posted as to what happens when the eggs are due to hatch on Tuesday.     

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
If eggs don't hatch can i replace eggs under broody hen?

Started by ---Snakey--- on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 08:20
by Sassy
xx
broody, but no eggs?

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 11:24
by LittleRedHen
question
Broody hen not sat on all the eggs

Started by Xxluke11xX on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 10:24
by Tazzy

Page created in 0.854 seconds with 30 queries.