Sweet corn ready?

• 48 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet corn ready?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2014, 08:10 »
No no  :lol:  Perfectly normal that  :nowink:

Its actually not a bad plan given the overnight temperatures at the moment  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 08:29 »
Unusual for humans, agreed, but acceptable for  orangutan I should think  :lol: :lol:

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2014, 21:45 »
Tosca100
Your corn looks amazing.
I decided to have a peep at one of mine today which has the brownest silks - only just turning though.
It looks like yours does at the very far right of your photo - those small cream coloured balls.
Hopefully they are on the way! I'm away for two weeks soon.
It's a race against time  :D :lol: :ohmy: :unsure:
Mrswashi

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 05:17 »
As I have never grown it before I peeked too early too, mainly because the neighbour had harvested her's and I wanted to catch it before mine went tough, but was very good and left it alone after that. It helps that it is out of sight. :lol:

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 00:15 »
I am not a lover of sweetcorn but grow it for Pa as he likes it. We checked two of the cobs today and they were ready so there was a mad dash to put the water on the boil. I boiled them for about 6 mins and then served them up with some butter. Not wanting Pa to have all he corn to himself I decided to have a little taste. WOW!! It was so lovely I ate the whole cob . I don't know what corn I had tasted previously but this was the best. That jolly green giant can jolly well get lost now  :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 04:43 »
Nothing like shop bought is it?

cadalot

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 05:55 »
Last year I sowed half a bed and after tasting home grown I had orders from my youngest daughter to grow a whole beds worth this year and apparently they are all hers! but she is willing to share  :nowink:

Goosegirl

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 11:05 »
Mine are nearly ready according to the silks, so what window do I have before they have gone over?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2014, 11:42 »
I don't think the appearance of the silks is a good indicator of ripeness (they will go brown even if unfertilised.)

The fingernail test of a kernel mentioned earlier in this thread is a much surer check - how long a ripe cob will stay at its best depends largely on the weather, but I'd guess at about a week (luckily they don't all ripen at once!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

beesrus

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 19:08 »
As someone else has muted, I also go for a fortnight after the silks have gone "crispy". I actually tried the first of the season the other day, probably a week before I thought they would be ready, as I usually wait a good week after the milk squidge test is working. Sadly, I was somewhat disappointed in the corn.
I'm hoping they just need another week, but I may be disappointed this year. I usually grow Incredible and they are always exceptionally full, yellow and "corny" tasting ... not like the one I tasted this week.  Although the cob was big enough, the kernels were pasty looking, smallish and definitely not very corn like. Pollination was near 100% and it was sweet enough, but that isn't everything. I'm assuming it was a Sundance, as my other corns this year are Golden Bantam, and I know from past years those too are very tasty, yellow and full like Tosca's picture. Has anyone any past taste experience of Sundance ?

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2014, 22:48 »
I've never actually managed to transport any cobs home from the plot - they just get devoured straight off the plant whilst I vaguely consider weeding space for overwintering onions or whatnot. Maybe this year...

Cheers,
Balders

snowdrops

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2014, 08:21 »
I've never actually managed to transport any cobs home from the plot - they just get devoured straight off the plant whilst I vaguely consider weeding space for overwintering onions or whatnot. Maybe this year...

Cheers,
Balders

Do you eat them raw then?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2014, 08:42 »
Although the cob was big enough, the kernels were pasty looking, smallish and definitely not very corn like. Pollination was near 100% and it was sweet enough, but that isn't everything. I'm assuming it was a Sundance, as my other corns this year are Golden Bantam, and I know from past years those too are very tasty, yellow and full like Tosca's picture. Has anyone any past taste experience of Sundance ?

I grew Sundance about 8 years ago - it was a poor summer and also the one where the penny finally dropped that sandy soils like mine need a lot more work on fertility than others to get good crops  ::). As a result the growth and yield were poor, but what I did get was pretty good IIRC.

Isolation of sweet corn to avoid unwanted crosses is a topic I can never quite get my head around, but I believe that Sundance and Bantam are both 'SU' types so should be OK grown together - is it possible that some or all of them have been cross-pollinated by other types being grown nearby?

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2014, 10:50 »
Wow  :ohmy: Tosca100 my mouth is watering
:D I garden therefore I am

crh75

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 15:56 »
This should have been my best year for sweetcorn.  The plants look fantastic and the crop I have had so far are brilliant.  Lots of the plants have three corns which is great.  Then something came along and has eaten them.  I have never seem this before, the outer leaves of the cobs have been shredded and the corn eaten.  I think it might have been crows!

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
sweet corn

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 21:38
by gobs
xx
sweet corn tip

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 12:10
by Chicken Pete
xx
Sweet corn

Started by flowerlady on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 07:32
by crackedflowerpots

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 39 queries.